Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake wars beta 2 open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Mega cheers for this... would have missed out again only for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

fast mirror getting it at around 100-150KB\s

http://www.humyo.com/F/14002321/EMBED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Auvers wrote:
    fast mirror getting it at around 100-150KB\s

http://www.humyo.com/F/14002321/EMBED

200kb/s cheers for the link

is it just me or is the sound fubar, very crackly, the game is the same as battlefield2 with a few minor differences, a few different vehicles

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MooseJam wrote:
    is it just me or is the sound fubar, very crackly, the game is the same as battlefield2 with a few minor differences, a few different vehicles

Have they changed any of the gameplay or is it still Super Mario Strogg time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What is the beta actually like?

EDGE had a rather cryptic message under the release date, something like the individual parts are better than the whole, like Battlefield 2142

I'll be quite disappointed if Quake Wars turns out to be a very average game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Did ant get the Play against the Computer option to work? Wanted to test a few things against bots offline but any time I try and click on play nothing happens!

Edit: Nvm, Just read on official forums that its not properaly implemented for time being but will be doing so with future update: http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5882#11

yea I tried playing offline and get the same, nothin happens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just came from a game.

pretty sweet.

I think the graphics dont have a wow factor cause compared to Battlefield 2, so much more stuff happens so quickly, with multiple artillary strikes and highly destructive airstrikes etc.

My only complaints so far:

-its very confusing at first, between the hud and the variety of actions it is best to spend your first few games playing assault.

-The vehicles are very very very easy to kill. The fact that you can destroy them with assault rifles and pistols is quite annoying.

I enjoyed it though, and will play a few more games.

Disapointed thoughit seems that it came with only one map, but thats a beta for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

All the pub keys are gone :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

All the pub keys are gone :(.

ur pc wont play it anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wicknight wrote:
    What is the beta actually like?

EDGE had a rather cryptic message under the release date, something like the individual parts are better than the whole, like Battlefield 2142

I'll be quite disappointed if Quake Wars turns out to be a very average game

I'm just D/L beta 2 now, but from playing the initial beta I would have to say that it is a rather disappointing game. Being a massive ET fan (played 100's of hours on it) I was basically hoping for a Wolfenstein Enemy Territory remake. Unfortunately, this game seems similar in name only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm just D/L beta 2 now, but from playing the initial beta I would have to say that it is a rather disappointing game. Being a massive ET fan (played 100's of hours on it) I was basically hoping for a Wolfenstein Enemy Territory remake. Unfortunately, this game seems similar in name only.

Oh well .. another multiplayer game that hasn't lived up to the hype .. back to BF2 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

if your basing this opinion in the 1st beta, i'd suggest you try the beta2, theres a world of difference.

I'm finding this better than bf2 because there is no lag, you can't get a decent game of bf2 for all the lag or at least I can't, it's the only game I can't play because of lag all the others including quake wars run uber smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'm impressed with the second beta, world of difference from the first one ! I can actually hit something without having to trail ahead of them while they're only 2 feet away !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played this for the first time last night, and its actually quite enjoyable. Nice vehicles (some of them anyway) and some decent classes. Things should get better as well, as the beta advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

lol

People whining that its not like ET
    People whining that its not like Quake
    People whining that its not like BF2
    People whining that its too like BF2

lol

People whining that its not like ET
    People whining that its not like Quake

Well, one would think that the first two are justified gripes when considering the name of the game, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars :p

Anyways, I must admit that Beta 2 is far superior to the initial release; it is actually possible to aim with a degree of accuracy now.

Well, one would think that the first two are justified gripes when considering the name of the game, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars :p

Anyways, I must admit that Beta 2 is far superior to the initial release; it is actually possible to aim with a degree of accuracy now.
    Imo the game is an almost perfect balance between the two.

• Advertisement

I've played it a good bit more since my last post.

and I must say I have grown quite fond of it.

I still perfer GDF over strogg at the moment because I can relate what the weapon is to what it does, while apart from guessing from its GDF equivilent i dont feel the same...this is a shotgun...keep it for close range fighting with the strogg weapons at the moment. With a proper tutorial or manual I would probably be more comfortable with them.

I like the vehicles (Though strogg walker seems clumbersome and useless for the most part) despite being able to destroy them with light gunfire.

On the other hand the map that comes with the beta is really...really...really F*CKING ANNOYING!

On a clan server I could possible see the appeal, but on public servers its just a downright impossible slog for the GDF to win.

The furthest I have seen a GDF team get in a public server was to the last objective.

On average though the hacking objective is just downright impossible due to how close it is to the enemy spawn and how easy it it to create choke points. It can easily be put to the feet of poor teamwork on a public server...but that is a fault that needs to be addressed, teamwork should be something that people slip into easily so that in clan games it requires expertise timing and in public servers it is something people can easily achieve without screaming down their microphone.

Aside from this glaring balance issue. I find the gameplay very entertaining. While I never played Enemy Territory on wolfenstien, I did play Frontline Force for half life, which I find the push gameplay of Quake Wars to be reminiscent of, and I was very fond of frontline force.

EDIT:

also the campaign mode works against changing your class midgame as the xp you build up unlocks stuff specific to that class i believe? (If i am wrong tell me), so if you change class all you xp work goes wasted.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I never played Enemy Territory on wolfenstien

You should rectify that. It is free after all :)

The XP doesn't neccessarily go to waste if you switch class. How the campaign works (when you have more than 1 map) is that you keep all your xp and upgrades for the duration of the campaign. Since the nature of the objectives changes midmap so does the class you need to play, but that also means that you will have to go back to using that class again at some point and so you will have your upgrades when you go back. Also some upgrades benefit you no matter which class you play, faster sprint etc.

However I have to say that personaly I do find some of the classes kind of useless (to my anyway). As Strogg I'm pretty much always Constructor, its the ultimate defense class with the Anti Personal and Anti Vech turrets outdoors and mine spam indoors. I have seen however very effective combinations used in clan matches, 1 Aggressor, 2 Constructors, 2 Technicans etc...

I think the GDF getting constantly hammered is partly due to the amount of new people playing the game. When the Open Beta first came out it was horrible, everyone running around not having a clue what to do, GDF wouldn't get past the first objective etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I played quite a bit there, and i too really am enjoying it. Got myself a few weapon upgrades (GDF engineer grenade launcher is pretty cool). Its bloody hard though. The map is totally to the advantage of the Strogg, plus their weapons seem much more accurate and powerful (at least the railgun is, which killed my about 90% of the time).

Played with a friend there, and er had a very good engineer/medic combo with a tank. Great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Both of the open beta maps had Strogg defending, however there are maps where the stogg are actually attacking.

On Valley nothing but teamwork will get the GDF through those objectives, so yeah I agree it will always be hard on public servers.

Got myself a few weapon upgrades (GDF engineer grenade launcher is pretty cool

there are no permanent weapon upgrades right?

You only get it for the campaign and then gotta earn it again right?

EDIT:

also its a pain to join specific servers. I tried joing the Irish server (TIG?) via a game launcher program (cause I never see it in the ingame browser) but it asks for my password, stopping me from connecting. and you cant minimise the damn game once its running so to copy over an ip (Well I couldnt when I was trying to put in my beta key.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So....private servers?

no it asks for my beta password which it does everytime you try to play the game online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Ive been playing the 1st beta since the start but was away and only found out the 2nd one is out, can I get the Valley map or am I stuck with beta 1?

• Advertisement

yeah you can update...i think it does it automatically when you log in?

Advertisement