Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with mainboard power connector on new build

Options
  • 03-08-2007 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I am in the middle of upgrading my PC from a P4 (3.2Ghz) to a Core2Duo E6600. Installed the board and was about to connect up everything, but noticed that my PSU's mainboard power supply connector is the 2x10 configuration, but the mainboard's socket is 2x12. Do I need a new PSU????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Your motherboard uses the new ATX 24 pin standard there is also the older 20 pin that your PSU uses.

It's no a problem either way because all you have to do is plug in the cable it is backwards compatible & it is keyed to only go in one way so you cant mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

8T8 wrote:
    Your motherboard uses the new ATX 24 pin standard there is also the older 20 pin that your PSU uses.

It's no a problem either way because all you have to do is plug in the cable it is backwards compatible & it is keyed to only go in one way so you cant mess it up.

Thanks. Does this mean I can plug in the PSU's 20pin and just leave the 4 remaining sockets on the mainboard free? What are these 4 for?

EDIT: Connected it up and boots up okay. Installing Windows now!

Advertisement