Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless driveway alarm

Options
  • 03-08-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i'm looking to install a wireless driveway alarm to let us know when someone is coming down the drive. its a fairly long drive and we have had people driving down and turning at the side of the house and leaving again. where our sitting room is situated we cant hear them so all i need is something to buzz or beep when someone drives through the gate.

i've seen some in american sites but was wondering if anyone had seen them in eire.

cheers
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Get gates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

pdeery wrote:
    i'm looking to install a wireless driveway alarm to let us know when someone is coming down the drive. its a fairly long drive and we have had people driving down and turning at the side of the house and leaving again. where our sitting room is situated we cant hear them so all i need is something to buzz or beep when someone drives through the gate.

i've seen some in american sites but was wondering if anyone had seen them in eire.

cheers
    P

Would it not be simpler to instal a PIR lighting system?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It sounds as though people think they are turning into a side road, would a sign saying 'private' or 'no access' be any help?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

looksee wrote:
    It sounds as though people think they are turning into a side road, would a sign saying 'private' or 'no access' be any help?

Doubt a sign would help. Who pays attention to them.
    A standard PiR light with a mians relay to trigger a buzzer or bell would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got a camera with a sensor a while back in aldi or lidl, about €60 or so. Basically hooks into the back of your telly, when someone triggers it they 'appear' on screen or a buzzer sounds. Dead easy to install, everything included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Okay, a few years ago I did a job for an elderly lady who wanted the same thing.

The only difference being this was a wired system.

Basically I sent a four by 1.5 nymj cable out to the drive-way, mounted a standard PIR (i'd recommend a good quality one, buschwhacker is probably the best!) I then powered and earthed the pir, and used the remaining core of the nymj to become the live supply to a bell traffo. I then took the same source for the neutral as I did to power the pir, and used it to supply the neutral to the bell traffo. Hooked up a standard bell, set the daylight setting in the pir to it's brightest (so it funtions all the time), and set the time in the pir to it's minimum (approx 5 secs.).
    So then whenever a car/person walked up/down her driveway, the door bell sounded for 5 seconds!

Hope I explained this okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

pampers wrote:
    Okay, a few years ago I did a job for an elderly lady who wanted the same thing.

The only difference being this was a wired system.

Basically I sent a four by 1.5 nymj cable out to the drive-way, mounted a standard PIR (i'd recommend a good quality one, buschwhacker is probably the best!) I then powered and earthed the pir, and used the remaining core of the nymj to become the live supply to a bell traffo. I then took the same source for the neutral as I did to power the pir, and used it to supply the neutral to the bell traffo. Hooked up a standard bell, set the daylight setting in the pir to it's brightest (so it funtions all the time), and set the time in the pir to it's minimum (approx 5 secs.).
    So then whenever a car/person walked up/down her driveway, the door bell sounded for 5 seconds!

Hope I explained this okay.

Explained well - Nice idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pdeery

thanks for that but the thing is that the driveway is quite long so i'm tryin to cut down on digging.

the pir to a light wont work either cos the living room is at the opposite end of the house from the entrance side so you could drive down the driveway pull up beside the garage and have the lights come on and no-one in the living room would know.

i've thought about all the options and the wireless pir suits my situation best. all i need to know is if anyone has seen them here.

P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The same idea could be applied to trigger a wireless alarm contact. A reciever in the panel could then swith an output + or - to sound a bell or chime etc.
    Coule be a little expensive, but compared to digging a long driveway it might be worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What distances are we talking about?
    RF may not be easy as there may not be off the shelf devices which support this. You may have to design a hybrid system.

Try these guys... http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/index.html they wrote the book on RF signaling!

• Advertisement

I have used Linear products http://www.linearcorp.com/ over distince's of 50 meters or so with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

pdeery wrote:

cheers
    P
    Do you really want that at 0300hrs?

will it buzz on the way in and also on the way out, so if a couple want to use your drive for a bit of R+R u will be waiting for the second buzz?

The issue for me is what willl u do with the info that someone/something has triggered the sensor? What happens if a cow or horse etc triggers it?

IMO a gate: go electric with a single sliding gate, not a pair of swing swongs, they are a night mare and if u dont want to dig get a solar powered set up with a manual override.
    u can also have a small side gate for pedestrian e/e

Where is ur post box or do u have to go into town to collect? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭too_sleepy

Hi

Think I saw what you're looking for in B&Q. They've got a wireless PIR which sends a signal to a unit in the house. The unit in the house has a chime alert when the PIR is triggered. You also get a plug adapter which receives a signal so you can have a lamp turn on in the house whenever the PIR is triggered.
    I saw one in B&Q Swords on sale for around 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

I have one of these at the end of my driveway to control the outside light. Works fine at 50 metres.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Security_Menu_Index/Security_Lighting_Index/PIR_Detectors_1/index.html

Advertisement