Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10k Diesel Car

Options
  • 03-08-2007 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a nice, diesel car. I will be doing around 20k miles per year so I would want something reliable and comfortable. Automatic would probably be nice too. Because of the low budget (also getting my first mortgage real soon)I may need to go back a few years to get something I like. Would I get two years out of the likes of a 00' 525d that has maybe 130k on the clock? Or any suggestions on any other cars?

Engine size would be as close to 2l as possible but I could stretch to 3l at a push (Tax and insurance being covered by the company and I get a generous mileage allowance so fuel consumption isn't a major issue but an issue none the less)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

10k is a lot of money for a car you only hope to last 2 years. It is 5k depreciation a year which brings you right into new car territory.

Either:
    a) Buy a fresher petrol for smaller money
    b) Get a car like the poster above mentioned.

Nothing with 130k of someone elses driving is guaranteed to be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Just got a 03 530d Sport with 86k on the clock. Looks like its brand new. As long as you buy the right one they'll last forever.

Why do you want a diesel though? if I was only doing 20k/year, I'd be in a petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

20k would be the minimum I'd be doing. Prefer diesels tbh

Makes sense.

Get a 530d. I'm getting 50mpg from my manual model.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Onkle wrote:
    Tax and insurance being covered by the company and I get a generous mileage allowance

Sweet :)
    commited wrote:
    Get a 530d. I'm getting 50mpg from my manual model.

+1

You should be able to get a decent, 100k+ miles '99/'00 one within budget. 50mpg is probably more exception than norm. Do you do a lot of long distance driving with a fairly light foot, commited?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Here's one that fits the bill
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=722290

Equivalent Audi is the same price even though its 2 years older
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=726268

If going for the Audi 2.5tdi try to get the quattro - pretty much the same power as the bmw.

GB15 wrote:

That one has a tractor engine though.. and a tractor engine with a rep for burning more oil than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Here is a nice 530d (if the mileage can be verified):
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=744222

Shame though that it is typical Irish spec, no leather or climate control.

Or a higher spec new one but with higher mileage:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=498652

Or maybe a wild card or two:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=697908
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=726019

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GB15 wrote:

Check out the reg :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Check out the reg :eek:

Good point - scrap that suggestion.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    You should be able to get a decent, 100k+ miles '99/'00 one within budget. 50mpg is probably more exception than norm. Do you do a lot of long distance driving with a fairly light foot, commited?
    Not really. On this tank, I've been to Carlow and back from Dublin, over to Greystones (M50) and up to Trim. All the rest of the stuff was urban driving (to work is 15miles).

I dont nail it when it's not necessary, and I use the cruise control to accelerate quite alot. It seems like I get higher economy than most other people with 530d's though, so I either got a good one or I'm very good at being economical.

A few pics:

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

June 2003 BMW 530d Sport with bluetooth, extended computer, CD player (an option!!) and full black leather. FSH and its in showroom condition.

Best car I've owned to date - though not the kind of car I thought I'd be driving at 23.

maidhc wrote:
    That one has a tractor engine though.. and a tractor engine with a rep for burning more oil than it should.

No it's a modern common rail in the 525d. You're thinking of the diesel engine in the 525td / 525tds, that was ported from the old model 5-series (E34) '88-'95
    commited wrote:
    It seems like I get higher economy than most other people with 530d's though, so I either got a good one or I'm very good at being economical

Nice motor commited. I'd hazard a guess that it is you who is economical :)

Dunno about that! I was thinking that maybe the ECU has learnt to use the power in a certain way. Max I could ever get out of my landcruiser or pathfinder is 27mpg and the book on them is much higher than that.

unkel wrote:
    No it's a modern common rail in the 525d. You're thinking of the diesel engine in the 525td / 525tds, that was ported from the old model 5-series (E34) '88-'95

The 525d is a pretty recent addition to the 5 series, I don't think it was there in 2001.

EDIT ...maybe it was...

it was introduced in 2001. Lots of nice 2002 525d Sports available at the moment.

maidhc wrote:
    The 525d is a pretty recent addition to the 5 series, I don't think it was there in 2001.

It was introduced in 2000

Nice motor Committed, of all BMWs the E39 5 Series has aged gracefully imo.

Does anyone know if the 2.0 turbo diesel from the E46 was every put in the E39?

unkel wrote:
    It was introduced in 2000
    Apologies, the man is right - introduced September 2000.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?p_make=BMW&h_make=BMW&p_model=%2041

bazz26 - there was a e39 520d in Germany I believe, but it never made it over here. Would be fairly underpowered anyway.

commited wrote:
    bazz26 - there was a e39 520d in Germany I believe, but it never made it over here. Would be fairly underpowered anyway.

Pitty, I might have been interested in one when my current car decides to call it a day. I would have thought that 150bhp would have been adequate at the time?

Anyway it is a moot point so back on topic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement

Just thinking about it more and more. I may increase the budget by 5k. Might yield me a much better car

bazz - Go for a 520i if you want a small engine for insurance. Post facelift 525d is the one to go for if you want economy.

€15k would get you something nicer alright. A nice 01 525d would be do-able at that price if you were willing to head to the UK. Otherwise, a 320d is another great proposition. Just avoid 02/03 models.

There are a few nice passats within my budget on carzone. I really would like something spacious and comfortable, currently driving a 06 Focus and find it cramped and uncomfortable.

commited wrote:
    bazz - Go for a 520i if you want a small engine for insurance. Post facelift 525d is the one to go for if you want economy.

Couldn't really justify the tax and insurance of a 525d at the moment as I am not doing the mileage I used to do.

Would like the economy of the E46 320d but perfer the looks and space of the E39.

Apologies to the OP for slightly hijacking this thread or going O/T.

Hijack away.. I don't mind ;)

Advertisement