Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSO list of most popular names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There's always so many weird names on that list every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Why do people actually register their children with the shortened versions of names? Why not call the child Abigail rather than Abbie or Abby for example, or James rather than Jamie? And why call your daughter Alex and not Alexandra? Is it because people shorten names into nicknames after a while anyway? In that case will we have babies called "Shinners" instead of Sinead and "Abs" instead of Abbie in another few years? Children grow up and some of the shortened versions would not suit a much older person, but that's just my opinion. By the way, I'm not saying those particular names wouldn't suit, I was just using those ones as examples of names that are in the lists in the shortened form as well as in their full form. I'd rather give the child a full name rather than an abbreviated version, and if a shorter nickname seems to suit them and sticks later on then that's fine (as long as it's a good nickname :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Had dinner with 18 of my friends lastnight...5 Sarahs, 4 Michelles, 2 Emmas, 2 Aoifes...got a wee bit confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

alright - i'm a james!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hurrah, my daughter was born in 2006 and her names not on that list :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

nesf wrote:

I thought that too!! But then, I find names like Kelly, Tracey, Michelle etc weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

2 of my three kids names appear on list, one in the top 10 girls and one in the 80's for one of my sons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Meh - I'm regularly top of that list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My own doesn't apear (not that I expected it to- Silja is a Swiss short form of Cecilia).

Our chosen names for the twins also do not appear, though the second girl's name appears in a couple of short forms ( we have picked Wilbur and George if boys, Robyn and Katherine if girls)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've never seen my name on any list and I haven't come across too many with the same name. I've met a few with the male version but only about 2 with my female version in my 43 years.

• Advertisement

My name hangs around the eighty mark generally. Our son's name isn't there but the english form is fairly common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

dame wrote:
    Why do people actually register their children with the shortened versions of names? Why not call the child Abigail rather than Abbie or Abby for example, or James rather than Jamie? And why call your daughter Alex and not Alexandra? Is it because people shorten names into nicknames after a while anyway? In that case will we have babies called "Shinners" instead of Sinead and "Abs" instead of Abbie in another few years? Children grow up and some of the shortened versions would not suit a much older person, but that's just my opinion. By the way, I'm not saying those particular names wouldn't suit, I was just using those ones as examples of names that are in the lists in the shortened form as well as in their full form. I'd rather give the child a full name rather than an abbreviated version, and if a shorter nickname seems to suit them and sticks later on then that's fine (as long as it's a good nickname :) )

Because it causes problems later in life if the kid is only called it's full name on the birth certificate.

I was registered at Patricia but have been known as Trish/Trisha verbally since I was born and have been using the shortened name since I went to secondary school.
    I really wish I'd just been registered as what I'm known as.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

holy shít!! i didnt realise my name was so popular!! yay me? :D

nesf wrote:

If you wanna see weird you should see what they're naming kids in NZ. Korbyn/Corbin, Devlin, Mason, Hendrik, Amos, Orion, Kendrick, Jed, ruben, Brighton, Wayde, Gideon, Kyan, Brice, Nate, Xavier.

Just blatantly took those names off another NZ bulletin board :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

flyz wrote:
    I was registered at Patricia but have been known as Trish/Trisha verbally since I was born and have been using the shortened name since I went to secondary school.
    I really wish I'd just been registered as what I'm known as.
    I work in a hospital and patients must be registered by the name as it appears on their birth certificate. This has led to patients not answering when their name is called in the waiting room!

One thing that annoys me is when a parent registers their child with a name and second name, then proceeds to call their child by the second name! For instance my father was Thomas Francis, but always called FranK. It probably doesn't happen as much nowadays, but why not call the child by the name as it was registered!

My name's not on the list. It's a horrible name anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah Ruairi is making the climb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

dame wrote:

A lot of shorter versions of a name are much nicer than the long version and are fortunately used more nowadays that they've become names in their right thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

dame wrote:
    Why do people actually register their children with the shortened versions of names? ....
    Because we may not want to call our child by the full version of the name? Because we particularly like the dimutive?

Take "William" for example. I may not particularly like "William", but I may want my son to be called "Bill". Why then should I register him as "William" when I don't like the name & always plan on calling my son "Bill"? It's horses for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yeaaaaa

I'm number one!

on a side note, it's very interesting to look at the lists whe they are seperated by an income demographic, i don't know if the CSO does it specifically, but it's done in the UK.

kelle wrote:
    I work in a hospital and patients must be registered by the name as it appears on their birth certificate. This has led to patients not answering when their name is called in the waiting room!

One thing that annoys me is when a parent registers their child with a name and second name, then proceeds to call their child by the second name! For instance my father was Thomas Francis, but always called FranK. It probably doesn't happen as much nowadays, but why not call the child by the name as it was registered!

A friend of mine is called Francis Anthony. He answers to, and signs everything as Tony, it causes an awful lot of confusion when his initials F.A. are used for things. :)

• Advertisement

Sean_K wrote:
    on a side note, it's very interesting to look at the lists whe they are seperated by an income demographic, i don't know if the CSO does it specifically, but it's done in the UK.

They've it done by region (Dublin, South-West etc). They couldn't do it by income demographic because the data comes from birth certs afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

My name isn't in the top 100...
    Seamus..it's about as Oirish as ya get! Thought it would be there
    somewhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

We have a shortlist of 3 girls names and 4 boys names at the moment.

2 of the girls names are in the bottom 60, and only one of our boys names makes it into the top 100 at around the 40 mark.

I sort of want to call our child a name that is not in the top 100 so the ones outside the top 100 have moved up the list for me.

Our DS's name has never appeared on the list as far as I know.

He is called George.

MrsA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

kelle wrote:

I have that problem, i was always called by my middle name, didn't realise it was my middle name till i started school and was on the register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats with the rise of Ava Grace and Ella, very old-fashioned names? Not saying they're bad just I can't think of any famous modern examples right now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My name isn't in there either, unless they're counting Nicole and Nicola as the one name (which I doubt considering they have Abby, Abbie, and Abigail as different names). Kind of weird when there were 2 other Nicolas in my class at school, I guess in a few more years my name will be horribly out of date like Ethel or Agnes or all those other old lady names :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

mike65 wrote:
    Whats with the rise of Ava Grace and Ella, very old-fashioned names? Not saying they're bad just I can't think of any famous modern examples right now.

Mike.
    We named our dd Grace last year (chosen because of Grace O'Malley) and I was so surprised to see it so popular because I'd not heard of anyone called it in years.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My kids are in the top three.:) And Im bottom of the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

dame wrote:

I agree with you there! That's always annoyed me. I guess it reflects the increasing informality of our society or some such but still... yeurgh!

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    I agree with you there! That's always annoyed me. I guess it reflects the increasing informality of our society or some such but still... yeurgh!

So should all Jacks be John? All Nualas be Fionnuala? All Franks be Francis? :rolleyes:

Advertisement