Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax relief for rent

Options
  • 03-08-2007 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

okay all, apologies for being a bit of a thicko here, but im no good when it comes to things like this.
    basically am claiming tax relief for renting. have been renting since jan but only claiming now as didnt know about it. the revenue website says "relief is available at the standard 20% rate of tax subject to a maximum of €1800 in a tax year". now, does this mean i get €1800 tax credits or 20% of 1800? and given that im only claiming in august so theres 7 months backdated, will i get whatever is due spread over the remaining few months or how is it given to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ermmm....

I think Accomodation/Property might be a better home for this. Moving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks BuffyBot.

Assuming that you spend €1800 on rent in the year you will get €300 - spread over the next 5 months or however number of months from when its sorted.

You can also claim for previous years if you were renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

How would someone go about claiming this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭marinchik

As far as i understand you get 20% of €1800, so its like €360 in this tax year and it should be sent to you by the way of cheque or they might enclose it to your tax credits..

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

It gets included in your tax credits for the current year. And if you are claiming for previous years then you get a cheque.

You'll need your landlord's PPS number, your PPS number, the date the tenancy started, where the house/apartment is and how much you are paying.

Then you just fill out the form and send it into revenue. Or you can do it online if you register for that PAYE online thing.

Either way try www.revenue.ie it's pretty helpful and has all the forms and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Electric wrote:
    You'll need your landlord's PPS number, your PPS number, the date the tenancy started, where the house/apartment is and how much you are paying.

Or if you're landlords trying to do a sly one, just fill in the address of the house you're renting and let Revenue pass on your message ;)

Electric wrote:
    It gets included in your tax credits for the current year. And if you are claiming for previous years then you get a cheque.

Then you just fill out the form and send it into revenue. Or you can do it online if you register for that PAYE online thing.

Either way try www.revenue.ie it's pretty helpful and has all the forms and stuff
    Anybody able to link to the form on the revenue site? I've had a look and can't seem to find it

Edit - is this the correct form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭marinchik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

thanks everyone. €360 not as good ad the 1800 i initially thought id get, but its better than nothing!

I asked my landlord about claiming tax relief last night and he gave me a big c0ck n bull story about how I was getting a great deal and that if I started claiming relief he would have to up the rent. I take it this means that he is not declaring the rental income to the revenue yeh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

report him them

do you have the address that you have to send the form to, i cant find it any where on the website, all i know is its off o connell street

also i think its only €300 - €480 max - not 20% of actual rent paid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Use the map on this page to find contact details for all the revenue officies. For Dublin it's here, 9/15 Upper O'Connell Street, D1.

I think I'll wait til I move out and then claim the tax back(at the moment I am getting a good deal but don't want to cause any animosity between us)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

thanks markpb

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

fletch wrote:
    I asked my landlord about claiming tax relief last night and he gave me a big c0ck n bull story about how I was getting a great deal and that if I started claiming relief he would have to up the rent. I take it this means that he is not declaring the rental income to the revenue yeh?

Contact Revenue and tell them that you want to claim your tax credits but your landlord is preventing you. Give them the address of the property and the landlord's name.

Then call the PTRB and ask them if the tenancy is registered. If it's not it means a €3000 fine for the landlord

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Electric wrote:
    Then call the PTRB and ask them if the tenancy is registered. If it's not it means a €3000 fine for the landlord
    Can ye not just use the PRTB website? It lists all those people listed with the PRTB as of May '07.

Electric wrote:
    Contact Revenue and tell them that you want to claim your tax credits but your landlord is preventing you. Give them the address of the property and the landlord's name.

He basically implied that he was going to up the rent if I tried to claim tax relief so I don't think I will. I know I should n all but I'm getting a very good deal and am happy where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fair enough. You can claim it back anyway once you leave.

Advertisement