Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quality of 3 mobile bb in Cork city centre??

Options
  • 03-08-2007 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all!

i'm going to be moving house at the end of the month, i'll have to change bb provider. I'm currently using magnet which is pretty good if you can afford it or split the cost.

anyway, i'm thinking of changing to 3mobile broadband (or maybe O2). i'll be living smack-bang in the middle of Cork, does anyone have any idea of the quality of service there?

thanks!
    Claire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Hi all!

i'm going to be moving house at the end of the month, i'll have to change bb provider. I'm currently using magnet which is pretty good if you can afford it or split the cost.

anyway, i'm thinking of changing to 3mobile broadband (or maybe O2). i'll be living smack-bang in the middle of Cork, does anyone have any idea of the quality of service there?

thanks!
    Claire

Its crap all over the country at the moment. Read the thread on the subject on this forum. Avoid at all costs, its an awful service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

I'm thinking of going with 3 myself. I checked the coverage for my area and it looks fine.

http://maps.three.ie/coverageViewer/jsp/content/mapScreen.do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

I'm thinking of going with 3 myself. I checked the coverage for my area and it looks fine.

http://maps.three.ie/coverageViewer/jsp/content/mapScreen.do

And I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you.

Listen to what the other posters are saying about it.

I remember the days with the 1200 bps connection on the old Hayes modem. It's something like that, but sometimes worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

what part of cork city ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Going from magnet to 3 would be like going from driving a ferrari to walking.....in a gale.....with no shoes.....uphill. Pay the extra money for a proper provider it will save your sanity in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Or to use another analogy, think of an ordinary cake. It doesn't matter if it's a madeira cake or a rich fruit cake (e.g. HSDPA) if there are a hundred people all vying for a slice of it and each one has to have a piece. Result = tiny pieces of cake.

Don't touch 3's broadband. It doesn't matter where in Cork you are. They've signed up so many people that their network can't cope with the strain. Unless you use the internet during very unsocial hours it's worse than dial-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

I just returned mine today and was using it in Cork city center and in Cobh. In Cork speeds were between 0 and 15-20 Kbps most of the time, with occasional bursts of up to 150k for brief moments with equal amounts at or near 0 K also. Coverage was always fine, it's clearly a case of extreme greed and complete disregard for the costumer.

The service is a complete joke, even worse than the usual "broadband" connection in Ireland.

You will only lose time waiting for the contract to be approved, then waiting to return it and then going to the bank to cancel the direct debit. And every time you show up to return they will say the network was upgraded last evening or will be in the next few days. Second time I went there I just replied "I don't care, sorry", and I got my money back. I will never buy anything from 3 again. The only thing good about them is that they offer a money back guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joe83irl

Got O2 broadband, im using it in Cork City ands it's really fast, its 3.6mp all the time ive checked it on speed tests. But it's going to be a ripp off if they don't reduce the price after three months, €40 is too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 claireb1234

i definately won't be going with 3 - no point paying for a service that only half exists. O2 looks most promising but the pricehike after 3 months is putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 claireb1234

Going from magnet to 3 would be like going from driving a ferrari to walking.....in a gale.....with no shoes.....uphill. Pay the extra money for a proper provider it will save your sanity in the long run.

LOL
    i know it'll be a pain in the behind but i can't afford to pay for it all myself. :(
    i dont mind a slower connection once i can count on it being reasonably consistent and it really sounds like 3 is not the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement