Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 660, but suckers? ...

• 03-08-2007 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm considering investing in a Garmin 660 for the car, but a buddy of mine (ex Garda) was telling me that SATNAVS are the new car stereos... in other words most new cars now days have integrated stereos so no point stealing them, but once some gouger sees a sucker mark on a window they know there is a satnav in the glove box - and suddenly your driver side window is history.

I was thinking of a solution to this and I've heard it's possible to get some sort of sticky/velcro mat thingy for the dashboard (I think some folks use this for sun glasses, keys etc.) and I was wondering if such a solution would work for a SATNAV (then when replacing it no telltale sucker marks on the window!).

Has anyone else out there done something similar? If so - where did you get the accessories to enable this?

Failing that - does anyone have another suggestion for avoiding the permanent dash/window mounting (e.g. no telltale signs of a SATNAV for those gougers on the loose)?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I have the 660 , it has a few things that might put off the potential smash and search guys ,

There is a pin code lock on the device , and you get reverse stickers for the car telling people this , basically once you activate it , you need to enter the pin every time , there is no way to re-set it without sending it back to Garmin.

The GPS is easily removable from the base , it has a one click action , and comes with a leather wallet so you pop it in that and bring it with you , never leave it in the car or the glove compartment , it fits easily in a jacket pocket , its about the same size as a walkman.

Next , as well as the holder with the sucker , there is a smooth disc base , you can stick this to your dashboard , the sucker then mounts on this , and you can remove the GPS , and also the stand , and re-mount every time you get in the car. So there is no need to leave either the GPS unit or the base in the car. ( although if you remove both and stash in the glove box there is no indication you have a GPS at all. )

All this stuff is in the box, so you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Dont bother sticking the anti-theft stickers on the windows ,they actually catch peoples attention:(

I've had a unit robbed from my van ,in broad daylight and in full view of people. There is obviously a seriously high demand for them ,I now have a garmin nuvi and it's a doddle to take with you ,one handed removal.

I leave the holder on view ,I'm happy that it's safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I would have thought the simplest solution is to just wipe your window when you take off your suction mount, no need to go looking for a complicated solution when the simplest answer is staring your right in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I have the Garmin Nuivi 660 and I always detach the holder and lead and hide it in the Glove compartment. The unit fits nicely in a shirt pocket . A disposable box of window wipes is very handy for clearing the tell tale circles . I didn't bother with the stickers but have activated the anti theft pin on the unit. If you are unlucky enough like me to get your Nuvi stolen ( Nuvi 300 stolen in Barcelona) you don't want the B*****d to know your home address !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If you devise some way of mounting the bracket on an air vent (like I did with my Airis) then it is not at all obvious when viewed from the outside. In fact it sort of blends in with the dash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

c0y0te wrote:
    Has anyone else out there done something similar? If so - where did you get the accessories to enable this? Failing that - does anyone have another suggestion for avoiding the permanent dash/window mounting (e.g. no telltale signs of a SATNAV for those gougers on the loose)?Thanks in advance

I remove my Garmin nuivi 250 & slip it in the pocket. I then take the sucker off & the charger out and put them under the seat, out of view, then wipe the windscreen & always leave the glove box open as it is empty.

I am looking to secure it elsewhere so not to have this repetition & I'm thinking of getting a peice of glass/plastic or some non porous shape to fix next to my gear shift using super glue to mount it as it fits nicely down there too.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

mathias wrote:
    I have the 660 , it has a few things that might put off the potential smash and search guys ,

There is a pin code lock on the device , and you get reverse stickers for the car telling people this , basically once you activate it , you need to enter the pin every time , there is no way to re-set it without sending it back to Garmin.

The GPS is easily removable from the base , it has a one click action , and comes with a leather wallet so you pop it in that and bring it with you , never leave it in the car or the glove compartment , it fits easily in a jacket pocket , its about the same size as a walkman.

Next , as well as the holder with the sucker , there is a smooth disc base , you can stick this to your dashboard , the sucker then mounts on this , and you can remove the GPS , and also the stand , and re-mount every time you get in the car. So there is no need to leave either the GPS unit or the base in the car. ( although if you remove both and stash in the glove box there is no indication you have a GPS at all. )

All this stuff is in the box, so you should be fine.
    Hi mathias. I also have the 660 and use the disc thingy that came with the box. It works a treat - not very obvious. I hope to keep the unit on me when I leave the car - in the city especially. Another un-connected point you may be able to help me on. The spec would show the 660 has having an FM transmitter encorporated in the 12v plug. I can't find it. I've pressed the right button but only a brightness and volume control appear. No sign of the info to get to the FM transmitter. Can you help? Many thanks, Michael r. ps I did only look for the transmitter whilst NOT connected to the cigarette lighter in the car. Must do so. Will let you know. Tried the car - no difference. Cannot find the FM tx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

The FM Transmitter is standard in the US, but in Europe its an optional extra i think. You pay more for the FM version. The list of different versions are available on www.garmin.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I got one o these http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=154580&asource=155865 and it is handy .No marks on windscreen and just store under seat when not in use.

It is basicly like a small bean bag with the rubber stuff you use to stop stuff sliding on dash on the underside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

If you want a permanent mount but don't want a sucker then check out http://www.proclipusa.com/ - expensive enough though. At first glance it would probably be assumed to be a phone mount/car kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

zing wrote: »
    If you want a permanent mount but don't want a sucker then check out http://www.proclipusa.com/ - expensive enough though. At first glance it would probably be assumed to be a phone mount/car kit.
    ProClip is the name used in the US by a Swedish company called Brodit (http://www.brodit.com/?lang=E). I have one of the clips in my car and it's as solid as a rock. Finding a decent online retailer can be bit of a pain though .. I eventually got mine from a Dutch site www.PDAPlus.nl. There are some sellers on eBay as well.

You have to get both the custom clip for your car, and the Garmin mount separately http://www.pdaplus.nl/catalog/brodit-holder-215116-p-1167.html

You keep on using the Garmin supplied cradle, but attach it to the ball on the Brodit mount instead of the Garmin mount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Alun wrote: »
    ProClip is the name used in the US by a Swedish company called Brodit (http://www.brodit.com/?lang=E).

That explains that then - I figured there was a connection between the two alright. Most likely to use them when I change my car early next year.

Advertisement