Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High cpu usage in vista at idle

• 03-08-2007 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Have just noticed today that my CPU is at 80% all the time.
    Task manager is not showing anything ,but the performance reading shows 80% on both the core 2 cpu's.

I've not kepy my eye on it for the last couple of weeks because I've been installing hardware.
    Any ideas as to what I should look for ?

Heres a pic of it ,should be 44%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

'far as I can see its Google Desktop that's pounding your CPU. Its not a very good idea to run Google Desktop and Vista's indexing search engine at the same time, much like running two AV products at the same time. Both of them will be thrashing away at your disks trying to index them at the same time. No need for Google Desktop on Vista at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the tip on google desktop ,even if I close it theres still 60% of cpu usage unacounted for in task manager listing.

Click the "show processes from all" users button in task manager and show us another screenshot.

My machine snotted out completely last night ,I tried to un-restore it and it just froze up in the middle of it.

I re-installed vista , what seems to be making things go crazy is the new freeagent pro drive I got.

When I connect it the first time ,it's installing .NET frame work SP1 onto vista.
    The installation of the .NET frame work won't install and then vista starts to splutter after it.

The Seagate program Freeagent Launcher ,wont load on startup ,Unless I click on the flashing box in the taskbar and choose to load it.
    The drive is fast and works fine ,I presume I need the framework thing loaded ,so I can choose to automatically backup the drive to the internet or something.

I've googled the problem ,but nothing seems to show.
    It would be great if I could get the program for the hard drive running without asking for permission everytime I load up

I had to reinstall vista anyway ,In the last three weeks I've installed all sorts of hardware and only kept half it.

Thanks for reading:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

There seemed to be 2 instances of Internet Explorer Running at the same time. Any reason why there would be? That was eating up more thn Google Desktop was.

• Advertisement

Everything is ok now ,I decided not to bother with the seagate program and everything is fine.

Back to 10% or less at idle. Machine was peaking before without any programs running at all.

I just ran my live webcam at 1.3mp ,TV window from windows media and opened up IE twice ,running at 35%

I won't be using google desktop anymore either :)

Yeah, Vista should have the .NET framework built in anyway. You'll probably notice things getting smoother after a couple of days once it has fully indexed your disks and learned what programs you use most frequently etc.

Back to normal now ,average of 4% at idle
    Machine runs tasks straight away ,
    I'll stick with logging into Gmail serparetly
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Stephen wrote:
    'far as I can see its Google Desktop that's pounding your CPU. Its not a very good idea to run Google Desktop and Vista's indexing search engine at the same time, much like running two AV products at the same time. Both of them will be thrashing away at your disks trying to index them at the same time. No need for Google Desktop on Vista at all really.
    It seems Vista SP1 will allows Google Desktop and other third-party search tools to be used instant of Vista's in-built instant search. However, both Vista's instand search and any other search program's processes will continue to run -- can't disable Windows' search fully.

vista sp1 ,should I install it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

_Brian_ wrote:
    vista sp1 ,should I install it ?
    Should have said -- it hasn't been released yet. But do install it when it's released.

Cool ,thanks ethernet .

I've installed the two vista compatibility patches there a couple of hours ago.

It will be nice to see what the benefits of the service pack will do.
    I'd love to have an option of making webcam calls in windows media centre.

Advertisement