Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Airshow

Options
  • 03-08-2007 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of going over to the Bray Airshow on Sunday, torn between it and the gaa, does anyone think it would be worth as Ive heard mixed reviews of previous airshows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I've never heard if this before.

Is it just light civilian aircraft taking part?

The DART line would be closed this weekend:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

dart line will be open so no problems there yeah was looking at the irish army today doing a warm up looks very impressive 4 of them parachuted out of the chopper and boy they were down very rapid think this years one will top any of them u can see the gaa highlights that night so come along funfair also in operation on seafront kids will love it

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Dave Bruton is giving a display in his new Sukhoi 26 - that will be worth watching I can assure. Eddie Goggins in his new Extra 300 will be more then worth watching - he's a real crowd pleaser. Gerry Humphreys will be displaying his Fresian Cow RV7, this will bring a smile to anyone's face !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Where's the fast jets? Personally speaking i wont go to an Airshow unless it's got fast jets with plenty of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

http://www.brayairdisplay.com/
    I want to go but ill be on my own:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Was in Bray today and caught a bit of this. looked decent, anyone else go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Yes it wasnt bad. We have all been spoilt by the likes of Salthill, and this just doesnt measure up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Spent the whole day out at the airshow yesterday (have the sunburn to prove it :D) thought it was brilliant. Still can't believe the C-17 it was huge and the blades display was great. I think I took a couple of hundred photos so if anyone is interested I'll throw some up once I have had a chance to go through them

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    I think I took a couple of hundred photos so if anyone is interested I'll throw some up once I have had a chance to go through them

Very interested, put 'em all up if you can.....................

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

yeah i also got 250+ photos, and i was only there for the first hour and 15 mins.. Ill try to sort through them and put em up on flickr or something. Thought it was very good and yep, i also got pretty badly sunburnt.

• Advertisement

V Bull wrote: »
    Very interested, put 'em all up if you can.....................

:cool:

Theres at least 1GB, We'll compromise I'll put up the ones that are in focus :D

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Theres at least 1GB, We'll compromise I'll put up the ones that are in focus :D

yeah, 250 is an awful lot, so ill put up the 6 or so in focus ;)

noblestee wrote: »
    yeah, 250 is an awful lot, so ill put up the 6 or so in focus ;)

Did you get to see the Black Knights?

The defence forces on parachutes right? Yeah, it was pretty impressive. Im in work at the moment so all photos are at home on the memory card, will post a few of each plane/aircraft tonight hopefully

Pataman wrote: »
    Yes it wasnt bad. We have all been spoilt by the likes of Salthill, and this just doesnt measure up.

Well we try to please here at Salthill:) I heard the PC9M's did a terrible display? 5minutes long? They are capable of much more and its not as if fuel would have been an issue.:(

Steyr wrote: »
    Well we try to please here at Salthill:) I heard the PC9M's did a terrible display? 5minutes long? They are capable of much more and its not as if fuel would have been an issue.:(

Yeah the PC9s were a bit of a dissapointment allright but I thought the EC-135 put on a good display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Claudel Hopson

There was no fuel problem with the PC9's. The hold was longer than expected and they went straight from Bray to Mullingar for another display there.

dsc0063mediumum5.jpg

dsc0068mediumcy5.jpg

dsc0069mediumpq1.jpg

dsc0248mediumyn5.jpg

dsc0225mediumpy8.jpg

dsc0049mediumwq3.jpg

gijmibray08mediumac3.jpg

dsc0150mediumsb4.jpg

dsc0077mediumxa9.jpg

dsc0074mediumem2.jpg

dsc0187mediumes0.jpg

dsc0174mediumsb9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Superb shot of the inverted Extra!

What's most surprising to see at an Irish air show is the blue sky:pac:

There was no fuel problem with the PC9's. The hold was longer than expected and they went straight from Bray to Mullingar for another display there.

Lovely shots Noblestee, cheers for that Claudel H, what was the occasion at Mullingar?

• Advertisement

Shots from Bray Air Display

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/currentlyunavailable/Bray%20Air%20Display%2008/?albumview=grid

Theres a few more to go up but it was taking far too long last night so I'll try and throw them up later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Mr Dave C

2710399257_cb143690d3.jpg

2710410507_8606f00e3a.jpg

2710409863_1a9ff44b7d.jpg

2711220956_3c5f0bc57c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Claudel Hopson

They had to do a fly-past over Columb Barracks Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Pataman wrote: »

Well this was always going to be the case with the established Salthill Airshow hoovering up the special acts and displays. Other than the great Irish pilots and teams probably available to show up at any Irish airshow, I would have imagined anything extra special, like Red Arrows, Thunderbirds, Eurofighters, A-10's etc that Salthill has had in the past. Well would they not be one Irish date per year kind of things, and if they can only be booked for one date, they are obviously going to want to do the Big established Airshow in Salthill rather than the young pretender in Bray.

I was actually pleasently surprised by the first Bray Airshow in '05. It had the exact same line up as Salthill that year, though I presume that year was an example of a relatively poor (line-up wise) Salthill rather than I great Bray line-up. Don't think there was a Bray show in '06 but '07 was much the same as this year whereas the '07 Salthill was a biggy was it not. Royal Netherlands Display team. USAF F18 Thunderbirds, A10's etc

I think the Special unpromoted flyby of the USAF C17 Globemaster was a good sign. What I mean is, is that although there was no Salthill this year, why didn't Bray get more High profile planes, teams this year, with no Salthill to hoover them up. I think the organisers and the teams themselves would have been unsure of the Bray airshow to commit to it even without Salthill in the way because tbh, it would have been hard to judge the viability of it going on the past two airshows here. The Weather was cr@p in '05 and '07. Was the attendance not great because people on the east coast were just not interested or because of the crap weather?

Well I think this weekend proved it was the weather because with a bit of sun there were over 50,000 people on the seafront. I think managing to get the Globemaster was a sign that next year we will see a lot more of the kind of acts Salthill had, coming to Bray in future.

And lets be honest here, no worry about Atlantic Gales, A long promenade with picturesque bray head at the end, a city of over a million people to attract visitors from next door and excellent transport links etc.

Bray is the perfect place for an Irish airshow.

Calibos wrote: »
    Well this was always going to be the case with the established Salthill Airshow hoovering up the special acts and displays. Other than the great Irish pilots and teams probably available to show up at any Irish airshow, I would have imagined anything extra special, like Red Arrows, Thunderbirds, Eurofighters, A-10's etc that Salthill has had in the past. Well would they not be one Irish date per year kind of things, and if they can only be booked for one date, they are obviously going to want to do the Big established Airshow in Salthill rather than the young pretender in Bray.

Thats where your wrong Sir. We can only get what they send to us, and its also a case of just getting your letters of invitation/application into them ASAP up to and even 11 months before you have an Airshow, this is true of most shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was more postulating and asking rather than thinking I was stating facts. Should have begun a lot of those sentances with "Is it the case that....." and ended them with question marks. :D I know nothing about the organisation of an airshow or the Bray one in particular but am just an interested Bray resident.

Whats your opinion on the Suitability of Bray for an Airshow and on the viability of future Bray Airshows and whether they will improve. ie. Was Salthill hoovering up the acts or was it just that the Bray Airshow organisers ambitions for the show were/are more modest? I mean give or take one or two display pilots, planes, teams each year, the lineup has been pretty much the same each of the years. Do you see it rivaling Salthills past glories in a few years or do you see it remaining a small regional airshow with some other town eventually filling Salthills boots.

I remember going to an airshow in Fairyhouse Race Course as a kid in the 80's. Acrobatics, plane rides, F4 Phantoms etc IIRC. Did Salthill replace Fairyhouse as the Premier Airshow in Ireland??

Would love if you could answer a few of these questions. Really interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

We need the air spectaculars back. The lineup in 2000 was unreal.

We need the air spectaculars back. The lineup in 2000 was unreal.

That wont happen due to some cock ups at Bal, Claudel H will fill you in there im sure.

I was more postulating and asking rather than thinking I was stating facts. Should have begun a lot of those sentances with "Is it the case that....." and ended them with question marks. :D

No worries:)
    Whats your opinion on the Suitability of Bray for an Airshow and on the viability of future Bray Airshows and whether they will improve.

That would be up to the Organiser of Bray Airshow themselves if they want to continue with it, i hope they do.
    Was Salthill hoovering up the acts or was it just that the Bray Airshow organisers ambitions for the show were/are more modest? I mean give or take one or two display pilots, planes, teams each year, the lineup has been pretty much the same each of the years.

You dont really "hoover up " acts, like i said above its about where the acts want to go and if you get your letter inviting them to your show sent to them early enough, also its a fact that they may only be allowed go to pre approved shows or that the costs for you may be too high to even get them to you in the first place
    Do you see it rivaling Salthills past glories in a few years or do you see it remaining a small regional airshow with some other town eventually filling Salthills boots.

There is no rivalry, but there is a need for more shows in Ireland. Look at the crowds at Salthill numbering 100,000 plus there is definately a huge interest in Aviation in the Country.
    I remember going to an airshow in Fairyhouse Race Course as a kid in the 80's. Acrobatics, plane rides, F4 Phantoms etc IIRC. Did Salthill replace Fairyhouse as the Premier Airshow in Ireland??

Nope Salthill did not, like i said you cant "replace" an Airshow if you get me? We started out with a fishing trawler and the S61N from Shannon back then it was the Salthill Festival and the Airshow/display was just a minor part. Also Bray is a good spot but Salthill is better due to the fact you have a whole bay to muck about with compared to the cliff to the south of Bray, but thats just my opinion which im allowed to have. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement