Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough Graveyard who looks after it?

Options
  • 03-08-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what area looks after the Glendalough graveyard?
    An old grave belonged to a relative has been vandalised.
    And I'd like to contact someone in relation to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

bug wrote:

I don't know who looks after Glendalough but it may be worth contacting the local parish church/priest. They should know who is responsible for the upkeep of the cemetery. It's terrible that some people get a kick out of vandalising graves etc. Is it permanent damage to the grave or can it be repaired/cleaned up?

Best,
    Preusse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It might be Wicklow County Council's responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Preusse wrote:
    I don't know who looks after Glendalough but it may be worth contacting the local parish church/priest. They should know who is responsible for the upkeep of the cemetery. It's terrible that some people get a kick out of vandalising graves etc. Is it permanent damage to the grave or can it be repaired/cleaned up?

Best,
    Preusse

Its permanently damaged. Its a really old grave, and the headstone was a really thick stone cross, which was smashed in two and has since crumbled.
    The grave beside it was also damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

bug wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

My great-grandfather's headstone was broken, about 7 years ago. It's near the path, near the entrance, and I think some (heavy!) tourist fell against it. Anyway the headstone snapped right off at the bottom.

We took it and the plinth away, had it repaired by a headstone guy, then brought it back up, mixed cement on a board in the graveyard and replaced it ourselves.

The responsibility may actually lie with you, however as said above definitely contact the local parish church. We didn't check with anyone, we just went in and did it ourselves.

Advertisement