Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave

Options
  • 03-08-2007 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

I thought that this might interest and shock some people: The USA and Australia are two of just four countries in the world that offer no paid maternity leave. However, Russia, Cuba, South Korea, and other former Soviet nations offer at least 52 weeks fully paid maternity leave... ... ...

... ...quite a contrast, eh?

Also, in the Ota district of Japan, the father is required by law to take 40 days fully paid leave after his child is born.

Take care,
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I never knew that about USA and Australia! That explains why my cousin in Sydney got pregnant during long service leave from her job!
    And also why my husband's cousin in USA went back to work straightaway after her premature son came home from hospital (her husband's a permanent student- she said it was the only way she could pay the mortgage and keep food on the table, I didn't realise she wasn't being paid!). I was shocked considering I'm only returning to work next month after my daughter being born last November - however I haven't been paid since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Kevster wrote:

Also, in the Ota district of Japan, the father is required by law to take 40 days fully paid leave after his child is born.
    :eek: I wonder how many hundreds of years before a similar law is introduced here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Its been 7 years since i was on maternity leave but due to start my 24 weeks on Sept 3rd. Am i right in thinking you do not get your full pay?

I only work parttime anyway but surely this is a most expensive time buying prams, cots, clothes etc not to mention the weekly expense of nappies and formula etc and a time when you most certainly need your full salary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Trinity1 wrote:
    Its been 7 years since i was on maternity leave but due to start my 24 weeks on Sept 3rd. Am i right in thinking you do not get your full pay?

I only work parttime anyway but surely this is a most expensive time buying prams, cots, clothes etc not to mention the weekly expense of nappies and formula etc and a time when you most certainly need your full salary?

It depends - your company may choose to add to state maternity benefit to top up to your salary, but it is not obliged to.

State benefit is as follows:
    The weekly rate of Maternity Benefit is calculated by dividing a woman's gross income in the relevant tax year by the number of weeks they actually worked in that year.

The rate of Maternity Benefit is 80% of this amount, subject to a minimum payment of €207.80 and a maximum payment of €280.00 per week. These rates are effective from 1st January 2007.

For claims made in 2007 the relevant tax year is 2005
    http://www.welfare.ie/schemes/families/mb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

any idea why the relevant tax year is 2 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

Just to clarify about the USA, there is no FEDERALLY mandated maternity pay, however each individual State has short term disability. So when you go on maternity leave, you apply to the State for short term disability and they pay you whatever their rate is. For NY and NJ, it is along the lines of the 280 euros quoted above, usually around 80% of salary. The length is usually about three months, but can be longer if you get put on disability by your doctor due to problems with the pregnancy.

So there's no "pregnancy leave" officially, but it is considered a disability :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I didn't need to be told this - I sit here in Australia 5 months pregnant and knowing that I will not get any maternity pay.
    I am not sure the better lifestyle out here pays the difference of being able to relax with our new baby.

MrsA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

With maternity pay being paid by the government based on your salary from 2 years ago (up to a very low maximum) what happens if you were on maternity leave for a good part of that year. ie, you have a baby in 2006 (off work for about 6/7 months) and are due again in 2008. Are you entitled to the €280 a week from the government?

A lot of people have two year gaps between kids, anyone know if there is a problem?

Advertisement