Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vehicle checks/ last few questions b4 test

Options
  • 03-08-2007 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi

do the examiners check your reg plate lights work - mine has just gone out. should get it fixed 2moro but as test first thing tues morn if i dont will that be fault ?

about how many questions do you get asked before the driving section of the test, and is it divided between sign questions and rules of the road questions?

also when you are stopped at red light and youve hand brake on are you meant to be in neutral NOT first gear with foot on clutch and brake? i always thought gear should be in neutral but a different instructor today told me to be in first as then youre ready to set off as soon as lights green. my understanding would be that you should only change into first if you know lights are about to go green.

also the small roundabouts that are flat on the road (normally through estates ) if you are turning right off it mustn't you always treat it as a roundabout and never go over it unless youre driving a van or vehicle too large to fit around it?

lastly when doing your 3 point turn, and executing your last turn to drive off in opposite direction, should you indicate?

id be very grateful if i could get these queries cleared up before test, and any other tips/advice.

many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Hi, I can't answer the first two questions definitively, but I'll have a bash at the others (Disclaimer: I sat a UK test in 1991)
    also when you are stopped at red light and youve hand brake on are you meant to be in neutral NOT first gear with foot on clutch and brake? i always thought gear should be in neutral but a different instructor today told me to be in first as then youre ready to set off as soon as lights green. my understanding would be that you should only change into first if you know lights are about to go green.
    I was taught to be in neutral with the handbrake on at a stop light or sign. This was on the basis that I was expecting to be waiting at the junction for more than 10-15 seconds. If the light had just gone red, and I knew that there were several other sequences before my turn, I'd return it to neutral and put the handbrake on. If I was expect the light change to be imminent, then I'd be in first with my foot on the clutch and ready to let go of my handbrake. Some lights take ages to come round to your turn and I can't see it being correct to be sitting with the clutch pedal to the floor for two minutes. It wears the clutch release bearing out.
    also the small roundabouts that are flat on the road (normally through estates ) if you are turning right off it mustn't you always treat it as a roundabout and never go over it unless youre driving a van or vehicle too large to fit around it?
    Correct. Mini-roundabouts should be treated like normal ones unless it's really unavoidable. In a car there's no excuse. If you have to do that, then you are driving to fast. I find that mini-roundabouts especially on T-juctions are a nightmare as some drivers can't get their head round the give way to the right and give way to traffic already on the roundabout rules. :mad:
    lastly when doing your 3 point turn, and executing your last turn to drive off in opposite direction, should you indicate?
    I understood it in the UK to be a "turn around in the road to face the opposite direction using forward and reverse gears". Now there is two things to note here - there is no "3" and there is the word "reverse". If the examiner took you to a really wide road that you could do a U-turn in, you would fail if you did a U-turn as you were asked to use reverse and you didn't. If you were taken to a really narrow road it would be acceptable to do it in 5 or 7 points. If you are asked to drive on, I think it's important that you use your mirrors and perhaps a quick shoulder check before moving back into the lane. According to the Rules of the Road, you must signal changes in direction all the time, like Australians. I learnt the UK way of signal if necessary (e.g. It didn't matter if the road was empty) If you was asked to turn in the road by any means (maybe if there is an unexpected closed road on the test route). Then you'd have a free hand in what you did to achieve it.

Don't panic if you make a mistake, as it might only be a minor one. Always remember to use your mirrors first before changing speed or direction and look over your shoulder when pulling out from the side of the road.

If anyone spots any errors, I'd be interested as methods change with time and I'm always interested in learning.

Cheers,
    Rich

Regarding the U turn: in my experience you don't have to indicate. Just passed my bike test on Thursday morning and I didn't indicate on the U turn. My instructor told me that it wasn't necessary. I didn't get any faults on my grade sheet for not signalling for the U turn.
    As long as you check your mirrors and blind spots and perform the maneuvre safely you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 misssunshine123

thanks for your help with questions i will do best to keep calm and hopefully all will go well.

i feel prepared and am in a weird way (!) looking forward to getting the test done as then itl be done and hopefully il be successful. most importantly doing a few refresher lessons/pre tests has made sure my little habits are cleared up and i feel a more polished and better driver regardless of outcome.

also i got light fixed today which is great.

lastly has anyone done a test in raheny recently ? would love to hear how they found it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

when you are pulling in to do your turnabout indicate a left to signal that you are pulling over. then as you go forward and to the right, you need to mirror, signal right, blind spot check, mirror, then move. when you reverse (your reverse lights are also a warning signal) and come back, the indicator will cancel itself usually. just leave it off and make your last move forward and to the right and continue on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lostintime

When doing an about turn on the road, it is only necessary to signal on the first and final manoeuvre. Signal when turning right on your first manoeuvre, having turned the wheel to the right and before reaching the far side of the road start turning the wheel in the opposite direction, coming as near to the kerb as possible without touching it. (in order to avoid dry steering) Apply the hand break, reverse backwards and again before reaching the kerb start turning the wheel in the opposite direction. Apply the hand break, and continue to take as many cross overs and reverses as you need, signalling on your final manouvre. Keep checking all around as you are doing so, blind spots, the back window, mirrors etc. Good Luck

I passed my test last week..*s*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

when you are stopped at red light and youve hand brake on are you meant
    to be in neutral NOT first gear with foot on clutch and brake? i always
    thought gear should be in neutral but a different instructor today told me to
    be in first as then youre ready to set off as soon as lights green. my
    understanding would be that you should only change into first if you know
    lights are about to go green.

During my last lesson my instructor told me that if you are 1st in the queue
    at lights/junction then you should be in 1st gear with foot on clutch and break.

If your not top of the queue then its into Neutral with foot on the brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

hi

do the examiners check your reg plate lights work - mine has just gone out. should get it fixed 2moro but as test first thing tues morn if i dont will that be fault ?
    No, only brake and indicator lights are checked
    about how many questions do you get asked before the driving section of the test, and is it divided between sign questions and rules of the road questions?
    between 3 and 6 of each
    First gear ready to go if you are near the front of the queue. NEVER with foot on footbrake. If you need a brake when stopped it should be handbrake. It is really irritating sitting behind drivers who have brake lights glaring in your eyes all the time
    Treat all roaundabouts as roundabouts. Go around and use correct signals
    If you look around properly before doing any part of the turn in the road, you do not need to indicate. If something is coming you shouldn't be moving

id be very grateful if i could get these queries cleared up before test, and any other tips/advice.

many thanks[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Saint_Mel wrote:
    During my last lesson my instructor told me that if you are 1st in the queue
    at lights/junction then you should be in 1st gear with foot on clutch and break.

If your not top of the queue then its into Neutral with foot on the brake.

I did that in my test this year and was never marked down for it. If your close enough to the front you can clutch + hand brake it. I don't believe there's any set rule for this sort of stop anyway. In Ireland we lack the good system the UK have of an amber light before it goes green to tell you your about to go. While I was doing mine in Fonthill he was more paying attention if I could drive not the technicalities. Then again the 1st time I did it in Rathgar I got an absolute <EDIT> who red x'd me for everything.

layke - please read the charter, particularly the last line!

Advertisement