Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 30km/h limit for Dublin city streets

Options
  • 04-08-2007 12:06am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0803/roads.html
    The radically reduced speed limit is understood to be part of a new initiative to prevent the deaths of cyclists and pedestrians.

Its a great idea in theory and I'm fully in support of it, but like most laws (150e fine for littering anyone?) its worth feck all unless its enforced.

Lets hope they enforce it, a perfect chance for the Govs to rack him some money and hand out loads of points to motorists

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Better off educating people in my opinion.

They need to stop cyclists breaking lights, put in proper cycle lanes in the city centre and teach drivers to check their left mirror before turning left and to be aware of their surroundings more.

This is a good start but really I think better cycle lanes and a better set up for pedestrians will be more beneficial.

I'm still pushing for cars being allowed go left on red so that pedestrians don't have to wait so long for a green man... seems safer to me, cuts down on jay walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Agree 100% with tywy. Education must go ahead of infraestructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It will unjustify 60kmh travellers having a 10kmh mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

tywy wrote:
    Better off educating people in my opinion.

Definitely. The footage shown on the six one news during this story of cyclists was embarrassing, seeing them weaving between 2 moving buses that were pretty much bumper to bumper. or moving away from the kerb into a position to turn right, without signalling, without even looking.
    tywy wrote:
    I'm still pushing for cars being allowed go left on red so that pedestrians don't have to wait so long for a green man... seems safer to me, cuts down on jay walking.

Do you mean what they have in new york? Where the ped lights are green but drivers can cross it if turning right and the crossing is clear. Doesnt sound too safe in theory but works brilliantly in practice. Although the drivers in new york were very patient (believe it or not) with people crossing, not sure what they'd be like here.

Advertisement