Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLI question

Options
  • 04-08-2007 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I will apologise in advance if this is a simple question that I should know the answer to but I have read the various FAQ's and stickies etc and dont see what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what I would love to know is if I for example decided to purchase a new PC now with an SLI capable motherboard etc, but only bought one 8800 GTX card (or any card for that matter), due to price conditions etc, down the line will I have to buy exactly the same 8800 GTX card or will any any 8800 GTX satisfy the SLI conditions. i.e. If I bought a 8800 GTX extreme, could I buy a different 8800 GTX later and would it work?

Thanks in advance

xx

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SK1979 wrote:
    Hi guys

I will apologise in advance if this is a simple question that I should know the answer to but I have read the various FAQ's and stickies etc and dont see what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what I would love to know is if I for example decided to purchase a new PC now with an SLI capable motherboard etc, but only bought one 8800 GTX card (or any card for that matter), due to price conditions etc, down the line will I have to buy exactly the same 8800 GTX card or will any any 8800 GTX satisfy the SLI conditions. i.e. If I bought a 8800 GTX extreme, could I buy a different 8800 GTX later and would it work?

Thanks in advance

xx

I think they have to be the same. Not exactly the same company that makes them but the same clock speeds and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thank you very much for the reply. I kinda thought as much but was a little worried that if I did decide to buy a high end card with the intention of buying another card to enable SLI down the line that I would be tied to the exact same card, from the same provider etc.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

They don't have to be the same clock speeds they can be different the only requirement is that they are of the same model type e.g 8800GTX not GTS or Ultra.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ooops my bad. Cheers for clearing that up 8T8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 glebe

Just checking guys but from the info above I take it that a nVidia Geforce 7600 GT cannot be set in SLI formation with a nVidia Geforce 8600 GTS.

• Advertisement

glebe wrote:
    Just checking guys but from the info above I take it that a nVidia Geforce 7600 GT cannot be set in SLI formation with a nVidia Geforce 8600 GTS.

Definitely can't.

Advertisement