Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen Replacement

Options
  • 04-08-2007 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Just 3 quick questions!

When a windscreen is replaced, do they replace the rubber seals around it or are they reused??

If you have windscreen cover on your insurance policy, do you have to prove the damage on it ?? Mine has got scratched, not affected my view while driving but its kinda annoying!

How does windscreen cover work? Can you arrive at the given "windscreen shop" and have it replaced and do you give them your details and they claim or do you have to inform the insurance co. that you got a new one and they refund you??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Curran wrote:
    If you have windscreen cover on your insurance policy, do you have to prove the damage on it ?? Mine has got scratched, not affected my view while driving but its kinda annoying!
    I am not in a position to proffer an opinion on attempted perpetration of fraud. However, afair, cover is for breakage, not scratchage.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Just crack your windscreen and call you insurance company .it will be free then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Too much effort :p
    The windscreen could be leaking - in heavy rain - the water seems to get in somehow - the side of the door and footwell get damp and the head liner gets wet - looks like the rubber seal around the window is worn and i reckon its getting in there - have to have a proper look at it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Curran wrote:
    Just 3 quick questions!

When a windscreen is replaced, do they replace the rubber seals around it or are they reused??

How does windscreen cover work? Can you arrive at the given "windscreen shop" and have it replaced and do you give them your details and they claim or do you have to inform the insurance co. that you got a new one and they refund you??

Yes the one piece rubber seal is replaced like for like.

No, you dont have to prove it to your insurance company, but they will ask the windscreen repair man to assess it and sketch it out on the docket.

You call your insurance windscreen 'hotline' and give them the specifics. They organise the windscreen repair and within a working day you will have contact from the windscreen company. They are a mobile unit, so will come to you. They will assess on the first visit and attempt a repair if feasible. If not, they will take car details, order the windscreen and be back to you within the week.
    You don't hand over any cash, they've an account with your insurance company - all you got to do is sign the declaration/invoice. One is given to you as a receipt :cool:

Thanks ciarsd,

No messing there - straight to the point!
    Will have to give them a call to see if they'll cover the windscreen for leakage :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

drdre wrote:
    Just crack your windscreen and call you insurance company .it will be free then :)
    Thjats fraud Dre.
    If you want to get banned from here then all you have to do is ask!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Most modern screens are bonded. Sealing rubbers are mostly obsolete.

Last time I had a screen replaced (on a classic car) the rubber was reused.

p.s. Thanks KBannon. "Cute hoorism" is one of the worst aspects of popular Irish culture.

Its a 96 - so would that have been bonded or rubber sealed?
    Might just call into a windscreen place and see what they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

In my experience, and I've had too much in the last few years, the windscreen companies are making so much from the insurance companies they will replace it if you think its a bit dirty, never mind cracked.

Last crowd I went to, I asked how much if I had been paying myself and it was less than half the price of the charge to the insurance.

sesswhat wrote:
    In my experience, and I've had too much in the last few years, the windscreen companies are making so much from the insurance companies they will replace it if you think its a bit dirty, never mind cracked

Sorry to hear about your unlucky streak :(
    Better drive it behind a tractor on a mucky narrow windy road before I have it looked at :p
    Cheers for the relply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

kbannon wrote:
    Thjats fraud Dre.
    If you want to get banned from here then all you have to do is ask!

No i dont want to get banned.Some people think its fraud and some dont.thats your own opinion.I think its not right and havnt done it bust i just gave my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Dependant on your policy claiming could also affect your no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

drdre wrote:
    No i dont want to get banned.Some people think its fraud and some dont.thats your own opinion.
    Who thinks deliberately breaking your windscreen and then claiming for accidental damage is not fraud?

Most modern screens are bonded. Sealing rubbers are mostly obsolete.

Last time I had a screen replaced (on a classic car) the rubber was reused.

p.s. Thanks KBannon. "Cute hoorism" is one of the worst aspects of popular Irish culture.

Just had the windscreen replaced on my new car. I asked about the rubber seal, and according to the repair company it is standard practice to replace the rubber. Is it possible that yours was reused as it was a classic, so spares are a little harder to stock/source?

My screen is bonded, but there is a finishing seal also (more so to tidy keep things neat around the edges).

Curran wrote:
    Its a 96 - so would that have been bonded or rubber sealed?
    Might just call into a windscreen place and see what they say!

Probably a combination of both :)

Advertisement