Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card query

Options
  • 04-08-2007 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I recently purchased a Dell PC. 2Gig Ram, 2.4g duel core, Vista and a 7900GS card. So far I've only being playing one game- Far Cry. All the settings automaticly defaulted to high so that's the way I've being playing. However, once in a while the graphics get a little shakey (pauses for a fraction of a sec a few times in quick succession). Given it's a quality card and the game is 3 years old, should the card be able to deal with the game without any issues??? I just thinking maybe there's some PC setting I've to adjust (rather than reduce the game settings)???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

what forceware drivers are you using?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It could be the game itself as I've heard that farcry is a fairly buggy game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rassassitass

Farcry was designed for Windows XP. Windows Vista really hates XP programs such as games. I work with computers and deal with customers every day regarding matters like this. So I have one piece of advice:

Dont install anything that wasnt designed for Vista.
    Check the box for compatibility.

Couple of the common vista errors you can get by installing software thats not designed for Vista include:

-Disc drive goes missing, It doesnt show in my computer and doesnt read anything.
    -Windows Explorer opens and crashes the system about every 5/6 secs, making it impossible to do anything.

The only way to rectify these probs is to do a full system restore.
    Vista is a sham. Stick to XP.

Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's probably Vista, as my esteemed poster above has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Farcry works fine under Vista unlikely anything to do with the OS directly.

The problem probably stems from a combination of the game not having been patched to the last version and their are quite a few patches and not having updated your display driver as Dell install very old display drivers by default.

Download the Forceware 162.22 driver for Vista and install it.

Now download the Farcry 1.40 patch from Ubisoft this is a cumulative patch so it will update the game from any version to 1.40 which is why it is so big.

• Advertisement
Advertisement