Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need WiFi Router for a Antenna setup

Options
  • 04-08-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    Moved into a house with a Thomson broadband system. Uses an antenna on the roof. Trouble is its not WiFi and I need WiFi. I thought I could just buy WiFi router but this model has a CABLE LINK connection that's going up to the roof.
    So far I have not been able to find a router in most PC shops that have this same connection (as opposed to a standard RJ phone connection).
    Anyone help?
    Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

stevemcf wrote:
    Hi,
    Moved into a house with a Thomson broadband system. Uses an antenna on the roof. Trouble is its not WiFi and I need WiFi. I thought I could just buy WiFi router but this model has a CABLE LINK connection that's going up to the roof.
    So far I have not been able to find a router in most PC shops that have this same connection (as opposed to a standard RJ phone connection).
    Anyone help?
    Steve

Sounds like you're set up for Digiweb Metro (broadband + phone service see - http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=90&zzz=hm). You're correct, this is not WiFi.

The Thompson modem should have ports similar to:

Coax F socket (screw type) for antenna.
    USB
    Ethernet
    2 x RJ11 Phone sockets
    Power 12v DC

The antenna probably has a power supply also (a little silver box with 2 coax F connectors - for anntena and modem - and a power wire/adapter).

You will probably have call Digiweb for reconnection first. Then you can connect the Ethernet from the Thompson modem to the WAN/ Internet port on a WiFi Router. Set the WAN/ Internet on the router to DHCP.

Any router with a WAN (Internet) port will work. This might also be described as a router suitable for use with a 'cable modem' AND ADSL. E.g...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306987&view=detailed

An router with built in ADSL modem (phone socket on back) will not work..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Argos also sell the routers with an Ethernet port. Plugs into ethernet port of your modem. They call them Cable Routers (They are actually ethernet routers).

Don't try and replace the modem connected to the coax.

You MUST use an ethernet router, not an ADSL one. You can't use a true 3rd party cable router with WiFi (i.e. built in coax modem) as the ISP won't enable it and they are not sold retail in Ireland, only to ISP (They do exist, but small selection and not as good as a separate router + WiFi ). The router MUST connect to the existing modem via ethernet, then you can use one with WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Thanks guys that helps me out a lot.
    Steve

Advertisement