Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists on footpaths WTF?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 11:06am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be a new thing in Limerick.

It's quite dangerous, and very annoying for a pedestrian :mad:

Rant over.

p.s. Limerick has the worst behaved pedestrians from a drivers perspective. They just walk across the road anyplace, anytime, and often do not even look out for cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its you damn pedestrains that are always in the way on the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Damn I was thinking of putting the same thread up recently.

Cyclists on paths GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:mad: :mad: :mad:

I always used to use the road or if in the rare instance I wouldb be on a path GET OFF IT if there was someone walking against me!!

Rant over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

take a walk out to raheen sometime and count the number of cyclists on the footpath, no more than six inches away from a bicycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

talking about pedestrians did ye see the accident at the junction of uppr williamd st and wickham st. Looked nasty. An auld lad got hit by a truck. The Gardai had it closed off for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

heard he was in his 70s, didnt look good
    hope hes ok tg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What's worse is people on bike lanes. Then they look as if you are in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ exactly, on childers road (opposite retail park) you see people walking were ever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

the reason people use footpaths for cycling is because of the disregard to safefty drivers show. cyclists take risks going on the road, even when theres cycle lanes. the way people park and undertake cars .. its at times suicidal for us to use bikes in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

GBX wrote:
    the reason people use footpaths for cycling is because of the disregard to safefty drivers show. cyclists take risks going on the road, even when theres cycle lanes. the way people park and undertake cars .. its at times suicidal for us to use bikes in this country

That is no excuse to endanger pedestrians on footpaths. if you don't feel safe on a bicycle, walk or get the bus rather than mowing through a pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GBX wrote:

cyclists can be just as dangerous,weaving in and out of traffic and going through red lights, i saw a guy just cycle straight out of a red light at the junction to turn into tk maxx the other day and then started shouting at the driver who nearly hit him, twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Damn cyclopaths! They are a menace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I always have to laugh at the way groups are split into 2 camps; the drivers bitch about the bad cyclists and the cyclists cite examples of bad driving.

Why don't the groups split into "good drivers, cyclists and pedestrians" vs "bad drivers, cyclists and pedestrians" ?

Then, we put together laws that protect anyone obeying the law, allowing for the extra vulnerability, but completely hammering ANYONE who does things that endanger themselves and others......for example, if a cyclist runs a red light, gets hit by a car and damages the bonnet, the cyclist has to pay for the car repairs. If a pedestrian jaywalks and gets hit by a cyclist or driver, then it's tough ****, but if they get clipped at a pedestrian crossing, the cyclist or driver gets screwed.

And speaking of the vulnerability, it seems to me that the cyclists that use the footpaths are doing to pedestrians what they [the cyclists] complain that drivers are doing to them on the roads and streets - bullying the less-protected road user.

One other thing - can we decide whether cyclists and motorcyclists are meant to be "IN" a lane or if they are entitled to squeeze or weave between traffic to get to the front ? If the lights change and the traffic starts moving, these idiots are putting themselves and others in danger. If they're IN a lane, fair enough, but if they put themselves "BETWEEN" lanes, then don't blame the driver if you get hit coz the lanes aren't built for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davemc06

I was going to make this thread! I also shout on people on bikes who are on the foothpath! :p Always annoys me!
    Maybe not the best idea, but they get the message. Live out by Dooradoyle and the amount of cyclists who are on the foothpath when there is clearly a blaring red cycle path is unreal! Can't understand it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I think we should all go out to Caherdavin and see the magnificent Cycle path provided to get Cyclists away from both foot and road traffic ..... :rolleyes:

Come to think of it maybe that's a bad idea ...... the cycle path is practically 50% full of parked cars for most of the day ..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well along St Nessans road along Dooradoyle/Raheen (especially outside the hospital) cars are all over the cycle lane, the gardai dont do anything to stop it! Its unreal!! So dangerous to have a cycle lane and use it as a cycle/parking lane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

actually, how many meters (!) in total of cycling path do we have in LIM? 300? 500?

actually, how many meters (!) in total of cycling path do we have in LIM? 300? 500?

I would guess the Caherdavin one is 500 mtrs on it's own ....

There is a really long one over at UL running in the direction of B&Q ....

I did see one lane that was about 10 mtrs long .... maybe they ran out of paint .... :p

Yeah there's some awful cyclists out there,especially in town.They won't even slow down when passing you.I will admit though to using paths in suburban areas when there's no one on them.I personally don't see the harm in it.Especially when coming down the start of the Ennis Road where the cycle lane is basically the bus lane! I'd much rather cycle the grass there than have to share a lane with those Shannon buses,they go way too fast down that lane.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've paid a little more attention since posting this to the offending cyclists themselves. A large number of them are foreign, mainly oriental. Some local scumbags too btw.

Don't you just hate it when a taxi drives down the cycle path ....... :p

57099_375x375.jpg
    http://photos.freenewmexican.com/2007/08/11/57099_375x375.jpg

..... or is it the other way round .... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement