Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow BT broadband (Cork area)

Options
  • 04-08-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello,
    When I got the 1Mb broadband from BT back in December my download speeds were about 700-850 kbps and were fine for a few months. However for about the last 6-8 weeks the download speeds have gone down to 400-450 kbps. I am getting these speeds at different times weekdays and weekends. I have just checked now again (11.05 am Sat) and the download is 425 kbps and upload is 105 kbps. I have tried some checks ( disconnecting everything else from the phone lines, removing filters, but no change). I am connected to the Ballincollig exchange in Cork. Has anyone else experienced a slowdown in Bt speeds recently?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am in West Cork and getting about 850-900 kbs on BT BB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What are your DSL stats in the modem's webpage? E.g. Line attenuation and signal margin?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Westie123

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I got this from 192.168.1.1/ I hope this is the right info!

noise margin upstream: 15 db
    output power downstream: 0 db
    attenuation upstream: 28 db

noise margin downstream: 20 db
    output power upstream: 15 db
    attenuation downstream: 51 db

I have attached a jpg of more stats as well.

thanks.

That jpg image is pretty strange. The stats for your line would suggest it can handle 1 Mbit comfortably, yet it's only connecting with the exchange at 576 kbps. That explains the 400-450 kbps download speeds.

Disconnect the modem for a minute, then plug it back in. Then take that screenshot again or just post the downstream speed here.

And if the signal margin changes, post that aswell.

Hello,

just checked line stats again (12.20 pm Mon.)

noise margin upstream: 16 db
    output power downstream: -1 db

noise margin downstream: 19 db
    output power upstream: 17 db
    attenuation downstream: 52 db

also attached jpg image

I am now getting 797 kbps download speed (www.speedtest.ie) and when i did a test download from the apple site i got 97KB/sec!

i have no idea what the line stats values mean. Could my problem be with my computer, my phone line or BT. Maybe things are just quite on the bank holiday( Contention?). I will check stats again on Tuesday and post the values.

• Advertisement

Hello,

Just tried again (2.30 pm Mon) Back to 440 kbps again!!

here are stats

noise margin upstream: 15 db
    output power downstream: 0 db

noise margin downstream: 21 db
    output power upstream: 15 db
    attenuation downstream: 51 db

More stats attached

You've a downstream signal margin of 21 dB yet the modem is having problems getting the full speed. I don't think that's a problem with BT in the entire area.

I strongly reccomend you get the lend of someone's modem to see if that cures the problem or if the line connects at 1024/128. As you can see in your last picture, your modem is only managing 544/128, less than half your proper speed.

If you can get a modem which downloads will stay at about 90-100 kBps, then your current one is a faulty modem. Let us know how that goes.

Advertisement