Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warrenty?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Warrenties used to be 3 years or 100.000 miles before KM where introduced, now they give 3 years and 100.000KM, 40000 miles less. I'm amazed there hasn't been an uproar about this, or has there?I know some makers give different variables,do any of them give a 140000 km warrenty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

nevere bought a new car, so didnt spot it. But u are right, ads on tv used to say 100k miles r 3 years

recently purchased a 2nd hand car and also purchased an extended warrantly with it. Cost 200 e but great pece of mind. Anything wrong with the car will show up in the 1st year of owning it, great to have it covered, as the normal warranties usually only covers engine and gearbox for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I've known a few who got caught out by the new terms. So they just brought the vehicle to NI or the UK and got it fixed under warranty there, where it was unlimited miles! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Umm... last new car we bought had a 3yr/60,000 mile warranty. It was in 2002 and it was an avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I though VW only gave a 2 year warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

There's been no uproar - maybe because people were more likely to hit the three year limit before the 100k mile limit, maybe because to boycott it would mean changing to a manufacturer offering a lesser warranty. It does seem to be a reduced vote of confidence in the manufacturer's product - almost like saying that they've less confidence in it. There are still a few Nissan Sunnys running around with the old warranty sticker in the back window - I thought that I was the only person that wondered about it.... It was a great warranty (unique to Japanese makers I think) back in the days when European manufacturers only gave one year warranty.

Maybe Kia will shake things up with their 7 year 100k miles warranty - Hyundai, the parent company will surely follow suit and hopefully it'll spread. It seems to be more of a sales support for lesser known products although I think that some sort of a decent guaranteed trade in value would be more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Before kilometres most manufacturers offering 3 years warranty had a mileage cap of 60,000 miles or 100,000kms. AFAIK there was no 100,000 mile warranty - if there was then it was appropriately converted to kms. No manufacturer is stupid enough to pull such a stunt - the bad publicity would be enough of a deterrent.

I think you're confusing the fact that most Jap manufacturers offered a 3 year 60,000 mile/100,000 km warranty. Not 100,000 miles.

crosstownk wrote:
    Before kilometres most manufacturers offering 3 years warranty had a mileage cap of 60,000 miles or 100,000kms. AFAIK there was no 100,000 mile warranty - if there was then it was appropriately converted to kms. No manufacturer is stupid enough to pull such a stunt - the bad publicity would be enough of a deterrent.

I think you're confusing the fact that most Jap manufacturers offered a 3 year 60,000 mile/100,000 km warranty. Not 100,000 miles.

I hate to contradict you as you're usually always right in your posts, but Nissan definitely had a 3 year 100k miles warranty up to around 1990 I think - I can't remember the exact year - next time you see a Sunny or old Micra look for an oval blue, red and white sticker on the back window. Toyota offered a matching warranty.

Note that Mitsubishi currently offer a 3 year 100k mile warranty on what's effectively a commercial vehicle in the UK...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/FEATURES/MITSUBISHI/L200WARRIOR/32725.html

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Spit62500 wrote:
    Nissan definitely had a 3 year 100k miles warranty up to around 1990 I think

That's a long time ago! Nissan might have figured that very few if any cars sold back then would clock up 100k miles in 3 years, so they'd be fairly safe to offer the warranty

Just checked current status. Nissan.ie offers 100k kilometers warranty. Nissan.co.uk offers 60k miles warranty

I'm with crosstownk that I doubt any manufacturer selling cars here reduced the warranty from 100k miles to 100k kilometers when we converted to kilometers (speed limits and speedos on new cars)

I'm open to correction though! :)

Spit62500 wrote:
    Nissan definitely had a 3 year 100k miles warranty up to around 1990 I think - I can't remember the exact year - next time you see a Sunny or old Micra look for an oval blue, red and white sticker on the back window. Toyota offered a matching warranty.

I don't doubt you for a second.

My point is that, contrary to the OP's standpoint, no manufacturer reduced the warranty as a result of the change from miles to kilometres. If a 100,000 mile warranty was in place at the time of the changeover* then it was simply converted to 162,500** kms.

*Ireland has measuring distance in kms for a long time ;) The units for measuring speed have been recently changed.......

**approx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

crosstownk wrote:

*Ireland has measuring distance in kms for a long time ;) The units for measuring speed have been recently changed.......

In relation to car odometer and speedometer readings didn't they both change at the same time?:)

• Advertisement

Yep - but the official measurement of distance has been km for a long time. So many manufacturers boasted a 100,000km warranty - simply using the larger number as a marketing ploy.

crosstownk wrote:
    I don't doubt you for a second.

My point is that, contrary to the OP's standpoint, no manufacturer reduced the warranty as a result of the change from miles to kilometres. If a 100,000 mile warranty was in place at the time of the changeover* then it was simply converted to 162,500** kms.

**approx

You're right there - the mileage reduction happened some time during the lifetime of the Nissan Sunny - it was 100k km for the Almera from day 1. A bit underhand though to retain the number and switch to a smaller unit of measurement - Ireland may have been officially measuring distance in KM for a long time but the average punter thought in miles (some people (including car dealers) still do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Well it seems I stand corrected. I don't usually suffer confusion that lasts for decades:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fiat offer 4 year 100,000km warranty.

Honda used to offer a 2 year warrant but upped it to 3 years a few years ago.

EU forced manufactures to offer a minimum of 2 years warranty a few years back.

The majority of European makers only offer the minimum required.

Advertisement