Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a kitchen fitter really cost?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I putting in a new kitchen in a 10year old apartment, I got a quote from in-house/the panelling centre fro €3500 for the units and from reading online the cost of getting a fitter in is usually 13% of the cost of the units, but there's no chance of getting it for anything like that price.

From going down the list of fitters that in house supplied only two would talk to us, one of them didn't show up but indicated he'd be charging €1500, the other guy said €1000 and wanted to be paid in cash up front! Can anyone tell me if this is normal and please feel free to pm me with suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

TIMOC wrote:
    one of them didn't show up but indicated he'd be charging €1500, the other guy said €1000 and wanted to be paid in cash up front! Can anyone tell me if this is normal and please feel free to pm me with suggestions!

Oh how happy I'll be when the construction boom fizzles out and all those quick buck rip-off self made men have to start pleading for you to hire them:mad:

Anyway back on topic.

€1000 sounds incredibly expensive! I recently had a kitchen fitted in a terraced house for €500 (kitchen units also came to about €3500). The fitter was recommended by the kitchen supplier (cash and carry kitchens) with payment in cash once the job was completed to my satisfaction (took full day from 9 to 5).

Shop around. If someone doesn't have the courtesy of turning up for an appointment they don't deserve your business.

EDIT: I would never consider paying any type of tradesman in advance. Where's the incentive for him/her to do a quality job? Payment only after completion of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TIMOC

Thanks for the advice, never done anything like this before so didn't know what to make of the requested advance payment

Advertisement