Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt Rant!!

Options
  • 04-08-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

What is with the vrt and the year of registration.

I'm looking to bring an acccord in from england and checked the price of a 99 reg with 66k miles on it - valued by the vrt calculator at around €5500 so vrt would cost approx €1500 again according to the vrt calculator

Thats not too bad I thought, then today I spotted a 2000 reg one with 65k miles on it and its perfect, right price, had everything done, so off I went to the vrt calculator to see how much I'd have to pay, it came out valued at €8500 and vrt costing approx €2600.

I couldnt believe it, its the exact same car, exact same spec with exact same miles, only difference is a 00 plate, I expected it to be more expensive because its younger but how can a car one year younger be valued €3000 more?? is it because of the millenium plate or something? because if you put the exact same car in as 01 its only €600 -€700 more on the vrt.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can always pay it and appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You are aware that cars go down in value as they get older?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

testicle wrote:

yes my point is the vrt calculator isnt realistic with its valuations of cars, is there really 3k of a difference between a 99 and 00 car?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

draffodx wrote:
    yes my point is the vrt calculator isnt realistic with its valuations of cars, is there really 3k of a difference between a 99 and 00 car?
    Was there a model change around that time? €3k sounds a bit on the high side but not radically so. The VRT calculator almost always undervalues cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

testicle wrote:

I was looking at rates for a '06 Zafira last week and OMSP values for the early months of the year were actually higher than for the later months of the year! (all with the same mileage) Values for some spec levels were also higher for the lower spec levels and visa versa! Go figure....:rolleyes:

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Yeh its all over the shop so it is :(

There was a facelift in 01 so i wouldn't have minded a shift upwards in value the.

just annoying having to pay so much.

Does any other EU country have a vrt like tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

draffodx wrote:
    Does any other EU country have a vrt like tax?
    Yes, Holland and Denmark certainly do, and the rate in Denmark on certain cars is huge, like 100% or more, I seem to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The Netherlands and Denmark both have VRT, I'm not sure how they calculate it though. I know any cars over 30 years old are exempt in Denmark, hence quite a few classic 911s are imported from the States.

Didnt the EU say VRT was an illegal tax and ask the irish goverment to remove it or was this just a rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For petrol cars in the Netherlands its 45.2% of the net price of the car (catalogue price minus VAT) minus €1540. For diesels it's the same except you only get a reduction (but it's only €600) if the car has a particulate filter.

For second hand imported cars the tax is calculated on a fixed percentage reduction per year on the net catalogue price of the same car in the Netherlands when it was originally registered. Not sure what they do if it's a car that wasn't available in the Netherlands at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Don't believe the VRT calculator on the Revenue website as they make up there own assessment when you go to register the car. My Dad went to England to pick up a 05 Megane saloon automatic with just 5,000 miles (price €11,000 - equivalent car here was €17,950) on the clock and I had checked the VRT calculator prior to him going. It said he'd have to pay €1,700 but when we went up to get it registered at their place in Santry, they said the VRT was €2,400. I queried this with them and showed them a printout from their own website that said the VRT was only €1,700 but they said that was just a "guide" and that their "book" said the VRT was €2,400. I wanted to argue the point but my father didn't want the hassle (especially after they none too subtley mentioned that the car could be seized by the Guards if the VRT wasn't paid), so he paid the higher level of VRT.

€2,400 sounds like very little for an 05 Megane auto with 5k miles. They can't have valued the car at much over €10k, whereas you reckon it's worth €17,950. What exactly are you complaining about here?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Alun wrote:
    Yes, Holland and Denmark certainly do, and the rate in Denmark on certain cars is huge, like 100% or more, I seem to remember.

180% of the car price in Denmark + vat ! But what a wonderful city to walk around, the only city where i did not have to wait for the green man, as you approach the pedestrian crossing it changes automatically for you, thats why everyone cycles, too expensive to drive. but as someone said to me there, its a democracy (some might have other words for it, but lets not go there), if we were not happy paying high tax, i think income tax is about 70%, we would vote them out.

Maybe what we need here is some sort of serious publicity on the illegal and unfair vrt system, i do think if there was enough outcry it could be changed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

oleras wrote:
    180% of the car price in Denmark + vat ! But what a wonderful city to walk around, the only city where i did not have to wait for the green man, as you approach the pedestrian crossing it changes automatically for you, thats why everyone cycles, too expensive to drive. but as someone said to me there, its a democracy (some might have other words for it, but lets not go there), if we were not happy paying high tax, i think income tax is about 70%, we would vote them out.

Maybe what we need here is some sort of serious publicity on the illegal and unfair vrt system, i do think if there was enough outcry it could be changed !!

As has been said numerous times , get rid of vrt and we'll just get taxed another way. We certainly wont be better off, well car drivers might, but the devout cycleist who see their other taxes go up to compensate might start a campaign to bring back VRT. It will simply be a case of paying the taxman from a different pocket.

Stekelly wrote:
    As has been said numerous times , get rid of vrt and we'll just get taxed another way. We certainly wont be better off, we'll car drivers might, but the devout cycleist who see their other taxes go up to compensate might start a campaign to bring back VRT. It will simply be a case of paying the taxman from a different pocket.
    Quite true. In fact, the only car drivers who might be better off are those who spend a lot on new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

just for anyone who might want to know the vrt office in carlow just go by the print off from the internet and when I was there a few weeks ago i was talking to a lad from wicklow and he'd saved 2 grand by goin there instead of his own local office!!

Advertisement