Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA problem

Options
  • 04-08-2007 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I have a strange problem, I’ve a NVIDIA 7300se every so often I get a screen full of lines symbols and colors and gets worse until it fails,to stop it doing this I either have to refit or nudge the card in and then its usually fine for a few weeks.
    I have up to date drivers and the card is fitted properly is it just loosening or something any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That is unusual if pushing the card in seems to correct it then it could be some sort of dirt or dust has worked it's way onto the contacts maybe.

Try pulling out the card and make sure no dust or anything is in the slot & inspect the contacts on the card itself as well.

Only other explanations are
    * Bad card, RAM or GPU is defective.
    * Heat build up, the fan or cooler is not working properly but on a 7300SE that is rather unlikely.

If it's really bothering you then given that it is such a low end card it's not worth RMA'ing and just get a 7300GS or something even cheaper like a 7100GS and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Had thought maybe dust but there didn't seem to be any,If I wanted to change away from nvidia to ati, How hard is it or is just change card and drivers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

angel2 wrote:
    Had thought maybe dust but there didn't seem to be any,If I wanted to change away from nvidia to ati, How hard is it or is just change card and drivers.

Yep that's it. Just buy a new card and download the drivers.

It's easy enough though to ensure a smooth transition here are some tips.

1) Delete any NVIDIA folder in the C:\
    2) Uninstall current NVIDIA drivers through add/remove & reboot computer
    3) Dismiss prompt to install display driver
    4) Run driver sweeper and remove any NVIDIA remnants
    5) Shut down PC and install ATI card
    6) Install ATI driver be sure to get latest driver from ATI site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You can dismiss points 5 & 6 as they dont apply. ;)

• Advertisement

So what all do I have to know before getting a card, as in power supply and such. I have a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo p with vista 2 gigs of ram anyone want to help me pick one somewhere between €100-150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For low end cards, nothing to take into consideration. I assume given you were using the 7300SE until now you're not a gamer or anything, so you might as well just go the cheap route and get that 7100gs 8t8 linked to, cheap and does the job fine. You'd only have to worry about power when getting up to the somewhat more gaming orientated cards.

When I got it the comp I was in a hurry and couldn't afford anything better,I'm not a huge gamer but would like something reasonably good kinda want to avoid nvidia lots of people have been having trouble with them and vista.
    Psu is only 350w so I'm guessing that somewhat limits me.

Best value is the X1650XT from OcUK not only do you get great performance it comes in at around €100 including delivery and your computers PSU will have no trouble with it.

If your looking for something with less punch this X1650Pro should do.

Thanks 8T8,I'm going to go with the X1650XT.Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IS YOUR CARD STILL IN WARRANTY?

- Overheal: always thinking.

Yea its still in warranty,but because its such a low end card I don't want the same again, also don't think its worth the hassle to get another 7300se that I'll be replacing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well if its free you might as well, even if you just sell it it'd be worth about 30 quid...

Just to update got the card everything seems fine its a great card,
    Just curious what should the average temperature be, its sticking around 69-70c according to the catalyst software this seems high.

I believe thats normal from some initial Google searches so I wouldn't worry about it, if the card was really overheating you would have texture corruption in games or artifacts displaying.

No haven't been getting any artifacts or anything,Thanks for the recommending it, its a great card.

Advertisement