Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual Machines

• 04-08-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a ghost image that I want to use to create a VMWare image, unfortunately its Win2K and VMWare converter seems to be a steaming pile of ****. From other sources Ive been told that I can use something called Livestate Recovery - Desktop Edition to restore a ghost image to virtual machine. Has anyone done this or do the know another way around it?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Just use your bootable Ghost cd within VMware and restore the image that way. Never tried it with VMware but have with Virtual Server, should be no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Eh how are you able to use a bootable CD from within VMWare?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

As I said in my first post I've only done this with Virtual Server and its been a while since I had a look at VMware. Within Virtual PC or Server is a menu to capture either the physical cd drive on the host or an ISO image. Will check now if VMware has the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

PDD wrote:
    Eh how are you able to use a bootable CD from within VMWare?
    In VMWare Server, when you create a profile for an OS, point your CD/DVD drive at the bootable recovery CD and start that virtual machine. Then you'll need to supply the image. Don't know about Ghost, but Acronis lets you remove the recovery CD as it's loaded into RAM. Then you can insert the DVD containing the image, connect a USB device or access a network share to restore the image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Server also lets you use a bootable ISO image as a virtual CD.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the info, unforutnately I dont have VMWare Server but I might be able to get it.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PDD wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Cheers for the info, unforutnately I dont have VMWare Server but I might be able to get it.

Dave
    Anyone can get it, it's free to download and use from the VMWare website!!

Hi Folks,

Ok I downloaded VMWare Server, I created a new image for Win2K. Then edited the settings so the VM used the CD-ROM on the host machine. When I start the VM, I go into the boot menu, choose boot from CD-FROM and it seems to skip past the bootable Ghost CD I have in the drive and try to use PXE.

Dave

Not sure whether VMWare Server has this option (VMWare WS does) but try selecting the "Legacy emulation" check box in the dialogue you use to select the CD-ROM drive .. that sometimes helps. Also make sure that you have the "Connect at power on" box checked in the same dialogue box!!!

It might also help to manually select the drive rather than leaving it on "Auto" if you have any other (virtual) CDROM drives on your system.

Alternatively just use the ISO file you used to make the physical CD from and point VMWare at that instead of at the physical drive. The advantage of this is that the restore will run a lot faster too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

make a windows 98 boot disk and save the ghost.exe file on it.

map the vmware server floppy to your floppy drive.

start up the vm ware image and boot it to the floppy.

when dos loads, type ghost.

either that or try microsoft virtual pc.

im pretty sure thats free too now.

• Advertisement

Just one thing .. I'm not too familiar with Ghost, but are you absolutely sure that the CD itself is bootable, or just contains a ghost image of a bootable partition (not the same thing)? As a test, if you put the CD in the drive of a physical PC, will it boot OK? Alternatively if you have UltraISO, WinISO or something similar it'll also tell you if the CD is bootable. If so, you're OK and you should also be able to boot it in VMWare and should try some of the suggestions I made, if not then you'll have to do what matt-dublin suggested above and make a bootable floppy with ghost on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Airliner

Get XenSource as a virtual machine instead. www.XenSource.com Free for systems up to 2CPU, 4GB RAM and four virtual machines. This is a full commercial product and not the open source version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

What benefits does that give over the free VMWare server. Is it faster, have better performance, more compatible?????

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Airliner

It is a hypervisor so you are not limited by the VMWare support for the underlying hardware. It also makes great use of the hardware virtualisation in the Intel-VT and AMD-V chipsets. Instal really is ten minutes and it is very easy.

Advertisement