Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new mobile broadband from 02 and vodafone??

Options
  • 04-08-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

I live 3 miles outside a town that has broadband. It has a population of about 2000. But it seems only houses about a mile out from the town can get broadband. There is absolutely no Broadband available where I live.

Now im seeing these adds from 02 and vodafone saying broadband anywhere you are sort of thing. What im guessing is you have to be in a 3g area or something?

If this is the case there is one room in my house where I pick up the 3g signal on my phone but apart from that its not normal reception logo.(im vodafone)

Can anyone give me any info on this broadband or how to check if its available? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

If you gave a general idea of where you are then maybe that would help, ie what's the nearest town? 3 also do mobile broadband and they have way more coverage than the other two but unfortunately it appears that there are way too many people using it so you often end up getting dial-up speeds at peak times.
    http://maps.three.ie/coverageViewer/jsp/content/mapScreen.do
    http://vodafone.ie/roaming/domestic/network/index.jsp
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/O2+Broadband/Coverage+&+speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm sceptical about 3 claims regarding coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Id be much more skeptical about vodafones. For a town near me it gives broadband coverage and yet there is no signal on your phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

plenty of good wireless services out there joe123 but they are almost all regional ones so we cannot recommend Permanet in Donegal or Westnet in Wicklow.

Support your local WISP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

plonk wrote:
    Id be much more skeptical about vodafones. For a town near me it gives broadband coverage and yet there is no signal on your phone.
    Although I'd be skeptical about them all some of the information on 3's coverage map doesn't obey the laws of physics. Not saying that the others have perfect coverage maps but 3's is definitely a bit off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TT&TO

i have vodafone mobile 3g 'broadband' - i move around a good bit - i am in mayo and then galway and sometimes limerick - all counties give different speeds - sometimes differing speeds when you use it in different areas of the house!

According to speedtest.ie i have gotten 300kps in Galway, but sometimes have gotten less than dial up in Mayo. So it very much depends upon where you are, how far away you are from a city, and also how many other users are online.

i wouldn't pay any attention to the signal on your phone - it doesn't reflect how the modem 'broadband' will work out.

Most contracts have a two week cooling off period, so if you are not happy with the service over two weeks, just bring it back and get a refund - with no questions asked.

all providers will have this in their contracts, so you could try all three together and then go with the best one after a week's trial. this is what i should have done.

for example the cheapest one, 3, may not be the best one for you. and as far as i can see, vodafone and O2 are the same price .

Advertisement