Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Camry

Options
  • 04-08-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Back from the states had the new Toyota Camry as a rental car and was very impressed and is a steal at 18000 dollars. Anyway I know they have discontinued the Camry in Europe but am aware they still produce it in Japan. Is it possible to import such a model as a Jap import. Anyone know the cost and where it is possible??

toyota-camry-new-02.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I drove one also last year and loved it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055056869

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublinsausage

Is it possible to import such a model as a Jap import. Anyone know the cost and where it is possible??

http://www.toyota.com/camry/

I am a bidder at auction in Japan but have a small finger in the USA , PM me if you are interested but it will be a year or so before this car is available on the 2nd hand market

To quote Bazz26 from another thread "
    Jap import Camrys usually have little or nothing in common with the Camry that is built and sold in the US."

Andi Smyth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You could always try Oz or NZ. the $NZ will be more favourable so it'd probably cost you about €40k on the road for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Had an older jap import camry for a few years, fantastic car.I didn't realise they could still be imported, I had heard that the Aussie market had taken the best of them. Mine was a 2.2 turbo diesel,which wasn't introduced here. I'm guessing size is the reason the new version wasn't introduced, the new Avensis is about the same size as my camry was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dubtom wrote:
    Had an older jap import camry for a few years, fantastic car.I didn't realise they could still be imported, I had heard that the Aussie market had taken the best of them. Mine was a 2.2 turbo diesel,which wasn't introduced here. I'm guessing size is the reason the new version wasn't introduced, the new Avensis is about the same size as my camry was.

The Camry was a poor seller in Europe, this was the primary reason why it was discontinued in Europe. Camry simply had zero image in that class of car where image is everything. Other cars like the Ford Scorpio, Opel Omega and Nissan Maxima all suffered the same faith over the years. The French are really the only ones who persist with large saloons these days despite suffering the same image, mainly due to strong sales in their home market.

Also the basic 2.4 litre petrol Camry being a 4 cylinder unit and no diesel option didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Speaking of the French, I saw a Citroen C6 on the road for the first time yesterday - I love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:
    The Camry was a poor seller in Europe, this was the primary reason why it was discontinued in Europe. Camry simply had zero image in that class of car where image is everything. Other cars like the Ford Scorpio, Opel Omega and Nissan Maxima all suffered the same faith over the years. The French are really the only ones who persist with large saloons these days despite suffering the same image, mainly due to strong sales in their home market.

Also the basic 2.4 litre petrol Camry being a 4 cylinder unit and no diesel option didn't help.

front wheel drive doesn't help either. (unless you're selling to Audi drivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Stephen wrote:
    Speaking of the French, I saw a Citroen C6 on the road for the first time yesterday - I love it :D

I live in Waterford, work in KK, and I'd swear it must be the same one as I saw. Can't be too many in the south-east! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It was getting dark when I saw it, could have been dark blue or black, but a lovely looking car all the same :). 07-KK plates. Saw it passing by the newpark hotel.

You'd have to be some kind of mentalist to buy one new though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The €40k is based on the top spec OZ model with all bells and whistles added. AUS$42k is about €27k at the moment, plus about €10k VRT and Import Taxes and €2k-€3k for shipping

Aussie Camry

Alternatively you could check to see if a Toyota dealer would special order one for you. PM Colm for details on that sort of thinkg though. Don't know if it could be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The Camry is a good car, no matter how old it is. Just looking at the Australian website for Toyota. Are there three Camry models but with different fronts? a camry, Presara and Aurion? So many different types of Camry for one country....:confused:

Advertisement