Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing bulb on halogen security light

Options
  • 04-08-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Security light outside (and the other outside lights) have run out a few months ago, and I suppose I should fit new bulbs. The others are simple enoug, but how do I change the halogen one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Usually a screw over the drop-down cover. Careful when opening it to avoid damaging the waterproof seal.

Get a bulb of the same rating and length. Use a clean cloth when handling the bulb. Make sure it's secured in place before replacing the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

^ what he said, but just don't touch the bulb with bare hands as it will leave grease which will cause premature failure of the replacement! That means having to do this all again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks. I can kind of see how to get it open, just can't work out how the horizontal bulb comes out and goes in.

Good tip about not touching it with bare hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

push the bulb to one side. It is held in place with 2 springed contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

luckat wrote:
    Thanks. I can kind of see how to get it open, just can't work out how the horizontal bulb comes out and goes in.

Good tip about not touching it with bare hands.
    Try removing it from an angle -- try pulling one side forward first and then remove it.

When putting it in, just insert an end of the bulb into one end of the holder in the lamp and then push the other end of the bulb into the other end of the holder. No need to apply too much pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

typically these are 500 Watt lamps, you could replace them with 200 Watt to save money and the earth etc, if you dont need super bright light then 200 Watt would do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Luckat...make sure to turn off the power from the fuseboard unless you know for sure that you have a master off switch for them...peice of cloth for holding the bulb, is also to stop your hand sticking to the bulb if it lights up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks again. Went to Atlantic Homecare yesterday but didn't see any of the bulbs. However, I now have a screwdriver set, so can get the bulb out and bring it to my local light shop.

I have to turn off the fuseboard? Drat! But good warning.

Advertisement