Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Spider Identification! 144KB Photo - Anybody recognise this beastie?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey folks,

For the past 3-5 years I've spotted this spider around our locality in a few places and like to keep a good distance as it looks threatening and I'm not fond of spiders, last year even a friends dog wouldn't go near it. I finally got a chance to photo it as I nearly stuck my head into it and it's web whilst climbing up to stomp our wheelie bin. This photo is of it tucked up ant 1.5 inches long but when it spreads itself out on it's web it look about 3 inches plus in size. I'm not a fan of harming spiders (even though they scare the bejaysus into me!) cos I believe they do a great job. Anyway.....

spider.jpg

Anybody seen one before?
    Thanks in advance folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

I think it's a garden spider, it's got the distinctive white cross, you'll see adults from july to october, and they can grow that big.

here's some more info:
    Araneus_diadematus

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

HemmingSay Thankyou! Go raibh mile maith agat! :) looks like you hit the nail on the head there heheh! A lot less worried now! :)

Advertisement