Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres - wrong size

Options
  • 04-08-2007 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience..I brought my car in to get the tyres checked before the nct and had 3 new ones put on. The car failed the nct for a few reasons but one was that the 4th tyre was a different size to the rest and they expect at least 2 tyres on the same axle to be the same size. This forced me to get the 4th tyre changed even though it was perfectly ok and obviously cost me extra..is this unusual?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the tyre place should have checked! Did you happen to mention to them why you were getting the tyres changed?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I made it very clear that I had the nct coming up and asked them to check for themselves which ones would pass it. They gave me a trade discount for getting the new 4th tyre but its still a waste of money and a tyre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm, they went some of the way to ease your pain I guess. I don't think the NCT charge for a visual inspection do they?

Mike.

No but I need to get other things fixed too anyway which will need more than a visual..headlight mount, wiper linkages and transmission leakage. The last one is the biggie!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

EF wrote:
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience..I brought my car in to get the tyres checked before the nct and had 3 new ones put on. The car failed the nct for a few reasons but one was that the 4th tyre was a different size to the rest and they expect at least 2 tyres on the same axle to be the same size. This forced me to get the 4th tyre changed even though it was perfectly ok and obviously cost me extra..is this unusual?
    They tyre place should have advised you to have all four tyres changed. Having different-sized tyres on the same axle is both dangerous and, if on the driven wheels, potentially mechanically damaging. Even if the fourth tyre were the same size as the others I would always replace tyres in twos, never singly.

• Advertisement

Yeh I wont be going back to the place. It was the discount tyre and auto services place in Blanch. They seemed pretty competent at first but I was a bit disappointed with them overall. Thanks for the posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They should have spotted the 4th tyre was a different size. Shocking that they didn't. Fair play for going back to them and giving out. I hope the discount on the 4th tyre was at least the same as the cost of the re-test?
    mike65 wrote:
    I don't think the NCT charge for a visual inspection do they?

New tyre = back up on the bridge, so the full re-test fee applies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

WTF? They put different size tyre on!? The tyre place should have told you what they were doing. I'll assume they put different size tyres on because they hadn't got the correct size in stock and didn't bother to tell you. That's what it sounds like to me. If so is the new size suitable for your car?

What size did you have vs the 4th tyre. What is the make/model/trim of your car? What size is your spare (if it's not a space saver).

I had 165's on it before anyway and they put 3 new 155's on it. Not sure what the exact code of it was but I had 3 tyres the same size and one (the rear left hand side one) was bigger. I dont know much about cars to be honest so I left it in their capable hands so I thought.

Now that you mention it my spare tyre will be the wrong size too! Theyre not getting my business if I get a puncture and have to replace that one too anyway!
    I
    ts a 1996 Opel Corsa 1.2 litre, not a great car by any means but I wouldnt trust them with any more repairs if they are going to let me drive away with potentially dangerous tyres

Oh and I only got the trade discount off them €7. I brought it up and asked them if they could repair the other faults on it (wiper linkages, headlight mount etc) and they said they would but they just fixed my tyre after waiting ages and said I would have to bring my car to some other guy to fix the rest of the problems.
    It does need a bit of work on the engine (transmission leakage) too but all I can say is double check your tyres if youre going to that place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EF wrote:
    I had 165's on it before anyway and they put 3 new 155's on it.
    The problem with small tyres is that they frequently don't display the side profile but just the width and diameter eg. 155/13 or 165/13. Perhaps your car had 165s instead of 155s in the first place although the fitters should have spotted that.

Edit: Sorry - didn't see post No. 10 before posting!

What would be the consequences of having the wrong size tyres on a car? I looked at the manual for my car and it mentions 145's and 165's but not 155's! Will I bring the car back to them again?

EF wrote:
    What would be the consequences of having the wrong size tyres on a car?

Incorrect tyres = incorrect grip - the consequences speak for themselves!

Jesus, ill have to get someone who knows what theyre doing to actually look at the tyres and make sure they are the wrong size before I take this any further. If they are discount tyre and auto services will be very sorry!

The guys in the nct should have noticed that too though yeh?

EF wrote:
    The guys in the nct should have noticed that too though yeh?

I don't think the guys in the NCT would be expected to know the correct size. They just look for tread depth and condition. I doubt very much that they check for size, not to mention speed and load ratings.

I see! Thats scandalous though that a trained mechanic would first put 3 tyres on a car with a 4th tyre a different size and with the 4th one now the same size theyre all probably the wrong size. no wonder so many people die on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EF wrote:
    I see! Thats scandalous though that a trained mechanic would first put 3 tyres on a car with a 4th tyre a different size and with the 4th one now the same size theyre all probably the wrong size. no wonder so many people die on the roads

I doubt that there was a trained mechanic working in that place and even if there was it's very unlikely they would work on your car. Even main dealers are struggling to get mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

EF wrote:
    Have you checked what size tyres should be on the car yet? You'll find the information in the handbook, perhaps also in the door jamb or fuel filler cap. While the tyre fitters were clearly at fault, you really should have a.) known what tyres you needed and b.) ensured that the correct tyres were fitted. I don't mean to give you a hard time, but this really is something that anyone in control of a car should know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EF wrote:
    It was the discount tyre and auto services place in Blanch.
    How did you know if you were getting a good deal from the tyre fitters without knowing the size of the tyres in the first place?

When most people are comparing prices, they will telephone around various fitters and give the sizes that they are looking for in order to get a price. :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement