Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone classed as Diabetic type 1.5???

• 04-08-2007 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

When I was first diagnosed with Diabetes about 7 years ago, I was classed and treated as Type 2 and my medicines where diamicron and Glucophage, this controlled it for about 3 years but then my sugars kept rising and eventually they put me on Lantis and Novorapid with Glucophage, one of the doctors told me that I had type 1 antibodies but Type 2 symptoms, just wondering if anyone else has been classed like this.

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

its not common, but it happens, the other name for Type 1.5 is LADA or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adulthood. There is a specific and different antibody sometimes present which distinguishes it from Type I which presents young.

It is type 1 diabetes you have, just the onset is much later than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'm type 1 but when i was initially diagnosed 5 years ago they weren't sure as I didn't present with extremely high sugars and lots of symptoms.

During a visit to my GP for something else he spotted sugar in my urine and sent me for tests. My levels were high but not astronomical (fasting of 9 as far as i remember). For the first couple of months i just monitored my sugars and for the next couple of months i was on tablets, can't remember which ones. I also didn't have the antibodies. However after a few months it became apparent that the tablets weren't working and i was switched to insulin which i've been on ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I take it having the antibodies, means my kids are more likely to develop the diabetes in the future, think I'd prefer if I was type 2 for their sake.

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I take it having the antibodies, means my kids are more likely to develop the diabetes in the future, think I'd prefer if I was type 2 for their sake.

Snake ;)
    its actually better to be type I (so long as you really look after your blood sugars) as type II diabetics usually find out they have diabetes when they are well advanced in the disease and have developed already a lot of the secondary problems like kidney and heart disease.

neither is ideal..... but you just manage what you have.

Advertisement