Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - what do you think?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

329724 ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775,ATX,2xGbLAN,DDR2,2xPCI-Ex16
    311800 Antec Performance One P180 Miditower, Silver Aluminum (Without PSU)
    331944 EVGA GeForce 8800GTS KO ACS3 640MB GDDR3 , HDCP, PCI-Express, 2xDVI-I, 320bit
    305161 Hauppauge! WinTV-PVR-500MCE, Tv-card w/radio and 2 tuners, Bulk
    330169 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    323130 OCZ DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, Spec Ops Ed ,w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-12 (x 2)
    337991 Plextor DVD±RW burner, PX-810SA, SATA, 18x, 10x Dual, DVD-RAM, White
    327715 Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM (x 2)
    114711 Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Black, Internal

I also need to get Artic Silver (Komplett out of stock), power supply (probably Corsair 520 or 620W), some different fans and cpu cooler.

Also possibly fan control and soundcard.

May order from komplett or hardwareversand.de (although I dont really have the time to organise a transfer).

I do lots of different things with my machines and after a while the hauppauge card will split off into a media machine.

I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit Installed on my laptop and it doesn't cope very well so im hoping its straight forward to stick it on the new machine and go back to XP Pro.

Please shout if you think I should change anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

All look good, but unless you plan to be doing alot of video encoding i would drop the q6700 and get a e6750/6850. As in games the top in dual cores will be alot faster then the quad cores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Cool, If I wanted to rip my dvd's so I could play them on my zune ( not sure if it is ok to say that here) would that be considered video encoding? (I guess it would but hey I won't be doing that as much as I will be playing games). So advice noted.

Do you recommend a TT ANti?

Would it a good idea to replace the P180 stock fans with quieter ones and add extra and also a controller?

Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Jackz wrote:
    Cool, If I wanted to rip my dvd's so I could play them on my zune ( not sure if it is ok to say that here) would that be considered video encoding? (I guess it would but hey I won't be doing that as much as I will be playing games). So advice noted.

Do you recommend a TT ANti?

Would it a good idea to replace the P180 stock fans with quieter ones and add extra and also a controller?

Johnny
    Another zune owner hoorah!, I just had to comment for that, there aint too many of us around these parts. More on topic don't get a 680i board unless you really, really, really want to do SLI it's just not a good chipset beyond the SLI. A p35 based board would be much better, the P5K Deluxe/Premium and Abit IP35 Pro are great boards (getting one myself soon don't know which of the lot yet though). On the Q6600 Anti is correct in the sense that right now you won't really be able to utilize all four cores very well, but in the near future games such as the infamous Crysis will take advantage of >2 cores, and for €240 IMO it's definately worth it to future proof yourself a bit more. Corsair PSU's=Win, that's all I have to say on that;) .For RAM get some D9 based stuff if possible, almost all PC8000+ RAM will have them, and all Crucial Ballistix do too.

Haha yea i like the zune! I wandered into a shop in Chicago intending to buy an ipod video and I liked the screen and UI of the zune so I went for it instead. I will look into a different motherboard, I know future proffing isn't really possible but it was aim to a certain extent. Yea im also into the queue for crysis! So many choices choices! I am planing to order Tuesday so I will update my list tomorrow.

Anybody got the Antec Nine Hundred, what do you think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement