Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I miss Roches Stores

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you hate shopping in Debenhams, try working there.

Oh and the knife guy is on every 13mins on a busy day.

Debenhams is just another Dunnes with a few concessions to bring in the high street shoppers.

Designers at debenhams makes me laugh, I wonder what they'd pay me to use my name on their own brand clothes.

Also its really sad that they think they can open St. Stephen's day but stores only open those hours it they have customers, so forget the war but stay away!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sorry, but going into Roches in Henry Street, especially the basement, made me lose the will to live.

For ages it used to be the only place that had a working passport photo machine.

If you're really nostalgic to fight with hoards of auld wans smelling of turnips over rubbish, then go visit Guineys on Talbot Street for than authentic Dublin shopping experience.

In the Provinces (i.e. outside the Pale) Roches was a place that stocked everything and had a great returns policy - even if the item wasn't bought there.

Debenhams will never be the same - especially while it quotes UK legislation as the reason it can't sell a knife..

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

My sis worked in Roches for years, she loved it, different approach to customers and a great athmosphere. I have not so fond memories of having to go there very thursday to buy Ox tongue - yuck - in the supermarket for my granddad (god rest him) but in saying that the butchers knew me by name and if they saw me coming the order was being prepared before I got to the counter... and feck the queue!!

As for basements... I got many an appliance in Roches... dont think I'll be buying any of the crap they have in Debenhams basement!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

jos28 wrote:
    I really do miss the old Roches in Henry St. The Debenhams that is there now is like a dumping ground for the Jervis St Debenhams. Any stock they can't get rid of seems to end up in Henry St. I miss the household section downstairs. It was great for kitchen gadgets and bits and pieces. Roches had a unique atmosphere. Great memories of going there as a kid. Pity it's gone.

Agreed, roches is sorely missed. I cant abide Debenhams, there is nothing in it for me. roches was always good for gents clothing and shoes.
    Unless you're a designer label sucker, there's sod all in Debenhams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 katieo

probably because that tool announcing the 'freeee knife' drove her batty.
    :eek:OMG he wrecked my head and i had to listen to it a million times a day cause i worked in the one in galway up to a few months ago.
    i worked in roches/debs during the whole change it was the worse thing ever!! even their way of managing the staff totally changed it just went down hill! the place is always empty these days and i've heard that they're not making much of a profit, apparently they are now trying to get some european company to sell half of the irish business to...bring back roches!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement