Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Word doc appears different on different laptops

• 04-08-2007 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Anyone ever experienced this problem in MS Word...

I type a document on my home laptop to include headings with a line underneath which runs across the entire page (by using the underscore character). This looks fine until I open the document on my work laptop and the line (of underscores) now extends to a second line throwing off all my formatting. Anyone know why this is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm guessing that your home laptop has the page setup as A4, and the one in work has it set as US Legal (which is narrower).
    Change this setting in File>Page Setup.

Or better yet, try typing a good few hyphens (-) and hit return. Word should automatically insert a horizontal line the width of the page. This won't change regardless of page size, font or size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Are you using the same verison on Word both on your laptop and at home? Are you using complicated formatting or setting up styles and formatting?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

older versions of word don't display correctly unless you have a graphical printer installed. No printer or text only means no fonts so you don't see them.

Options install a printer - HP deskjet or something , set to print to file. Or Pdfcreator from sourceforge.

It may also depend on fonts , there is an option to embed them in the word document somewhere, or just use standard fonts rather than special stuff.

Very old printer drivers would flake out unless there was an inch and a quarter margin at the sides (go figure)

in tools / options check for hidden characters being visibel

Advertisement