Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bull Huss

Options
  • 04-08-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Caught this out in Dublin Bay a few weeks ago.

Am i right that this is a Bull Huss.

If it is it looks and feels larger that 20lbs. Wish we had weighed it but did'nt have the gear with us.

Any ideas on the weight?

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

yeh thats a huss , lol love the fag hangin out the gob , classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

aye its a huss alright.. but looks approx 11lbs-13lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

yeah, thats a huss allright, what did you do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

it looks like he killed it! and chopped it up?? which would be beyond pointless

• Advertisement

One of the lads with us took most of the fish home that day.

We took alot of thorn back ray. My Bull Huss was actually chopped up when we got back to port.

Hated to see that. :)

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭david_1888

Why wasnt it thrown back if it was just pointlessly chopped up?

He was going to eat it actually.

Not sure how he prepares it but swears it is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

so much for conservation :mad: :mad:
    hate to see a good fish get the chop.. especially thornies.. nothing wrong with taking the odd one.. but cleaning an area out of them isnt good... especially if you take the male of the species.. for every one male there are upto 20 females in the area.. take the male and the females will find it harder to reproduce and move out of an area , then there will be no ray around :mad: :mad: :mad:

Most of the thorn back's went back as did all the other Bull Huss.

Nothing wrong with keeping some for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I've never heard of anyone eating huss and can't even find a recipe on google for cooking one. That's a lovely fish to catch , chopping it up ensures no one will ever catch it again, which is a damn shame. I know some people eat doggies and ray are edible but , as far as i'm concerned, these fish are caught by anglers for pleasure not food. If your mate is that hungry tell him eat a mackerel, they'll probably taste better and won't leave a bitter taste in other anglers' mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

No point in taking more than 1 or 2 ray as I found they don't freeze well at all.

Tell your buddy about the all you can eat buffet down the Chinese.

Advertisement