Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the HELL does this mean?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

I've been having the same kind of situation popping up into my dreams for the past few years, but lately it's becoming much more frequent and realistic.

The dreams themselves never seem to be the same, but at one point it ends up with my teeth falling out, or rotting, or being badly chipped. I never get a blow to the face or anything, it just...happens!

As strange as it sounds, it's really beginning to bother me recently. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm a fan of the theory that losing teeth in a dream can symbolise a feeling of powerlessness. Do you feel like you're pushed around in life?

It could also be an insecurity about your appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Hmm, powerlessness and insecurity. I honestly didn't think I had a problem with either, but now that I think properly about it; both could be true.

Last night I had a dream that I was a wizard in Harry Potter, using spells all over the place (I remember specifically stunning a Gorrilla. Both it took a few stuns before it went down and then I asked Hermione if there was a stronger stunning spell) As strange as this may sound, do you think it might tie in with the powerlessness thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

it probably could be linked. the spellcasting thing could be linked with wanting to get control of the situation, have some power, all the time? and then asking for a stronger one, as you said yourself, could indeed be linked with a powerless feeling mentioned. the fact that you say it took a few go's for it to work, could lead to thinking again, not strong enough/powerless in a sense.. seems like Zillah could have hit the nail on the head here

Hmm, it's all pretty interesting. I had another one last night with a few teeth falling out, it's really beginning to disturb me at this stage! Any way I could stop it do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Teeth falling our and/or rotting away usually symbolises worry about your self-image and how others perceive you, and the feeling of having no control over other peoples misconceptions. Teeth are a big part of our outward appearance.

Though keep in mind that dreams can be very personal and there meanings just as much so. What something 'usually means' isn't necessarily what it means to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

Did you forget to brush your teeth before you went to bed? I sometimes have dreams to do with stuff I forgot about during the day.

Unfortunately Goodshape, I don't know what it means to me, hence me posting here;) There might be something in the self image thing; though I never thought of myself as vain before.

I used to have braces a few years ago Robbie, and I got in the habit of taking good care of my teeth. Ever since I got them off, I just brush them as normal. I don't take special care of them or anything.

I just find it weird that the dream has kept repeating itself so much during the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Average-Ro wrote:
    though I never thought of myself as vain before.
    Not necessarily relating to vanity or your physical appearance. Could be social acceptance which is playing on your mind -- as it does with most people at some time or another.

Plenty of things can trigger that, examples being : starting a new job, school or other group activity; making or the desire to make changes in your social routine (what will others think?); a night of heaving drinking you can't quite remember (what must they think of me?); etc.

Loosing or rotting teeth is actually quite a common dream imagery. I've had it plenty of times myself, usually for a few nights in a row, and usually at times of personal or social change.

Actually, social acceptance.... what do you think of this? I met my girlfriends family bout two weeks ago at her sisters 21st. I was kinda nervous bout it, thet had invited me and all. And I'm going to her uncles wedding on the 1st of September. I haven't really thought about the wedding at all, but could it be playing in the back of my mind, hence the dream?

And seeing as it's been happening for the last year, well I started my first year of college last September. The dreams could have been linked with me trying to fit into the class? What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seven

I've heard that dreaming about your teeth falling out is a fore warning about becoming unwell :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

seven wrote:
    I've heard that dreaming about your teeth falling out is a fore warning about becoming unwell :eek:

Considering that we have no ability to predict the future, I some how doubt that.
    Average-Ro wrote:
    Actually, social acceptance.... what do you think of this? I met my girlfriends family bout two weeks ago at her sisters 21st. I was kinda nervous bout it, thet had invited me and all. And I'm going to her uncles wedding on the 1st of September. I haven't really thought about the wedding at all, but could it be playing in the back of my mind, hence the dream?

And seeing as it's been happening for the last year, well I started my first year of college last September. The dreams could have been linked with me trying to fit into the class? What do you think?

Yup, I can imagine all of that giving you a little preoccupation with fitting in and worrying about how others perceive you. The dreams will probably stop once you get more comfortable with your girlfriend's family and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Courtesy of a website:
    These dreams may stem from a fear of your sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old.

Its also linked to anxiety over social acceptance, fear of ill health (for you or family member)

Chinese interpretation is you have lied and feel bad about it (or just lied and its playing on your sub-conscious)

the powerlessness thing is also a common interpretation

SO many interpetations, I don't know what to think. I haven't had the dream since the last time I mentioned it about half way down the thread though. I good sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i heard somewhere that thats a sign of life or lack of it. a few people have said it to me that teeth falling out is a sign that your growing up too fast and life is passing you by, or that you are not treating yourself the way you should..

A singer in a well known band was talking about his dreams and one that he had all the time where he was walking along minding his own business, then he would try to talk to someone, but one by one his teeth would come out, then he would start choking on then, gradually spitting them out in pairs and so on as he tried to catch them in his hands to have them put in again while still trying to hold a conversation

That singer was hospitalised with heart pains and choughin up blood a year or so later. His knee was blown out, and he was nearly crippled for life with it..

Are you living a healthy life?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 natashaiseult

I have had many of those dreams about falling out teeth over the years - some so vivid I thought I had the bloody tooth in my hand when I woke.

I had 2 dreams recently and would love any feed back on the meaning of either or both, if anybody knows.

1. A strange girl - as in unknown to me - kept following/stalking me and jabbing sewing needles into the tops of my hands (not the palms - the opposite to the palms) - I had to keep running / getting away from her, pull the needles out of my hands (with the good hand - whichever it was at the time) and move to a different place where she caught up with me and stabbed me again - this happened five/six times before I woke.

2. One of my brothers, a friend, and an old man, that I did not know were on top of a high building, - (something similar to a building roof top or the top floor of a multistory parking lot, just a bit away was a lift and they were messing with it the whole time despite my and the other couple of people on the roof telling them to stop messing. All 3 leaned forward at the same time and the lift moved/slid sideways causing all 3 to fall. My brother was ok - he got caught on something on the way down, my friend just disappeared, the old man hit the floor and was splatted.

Advertisement