Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding

Options
  • 04-08-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey all

If you are pulled over for speeding and the garda doesnt mention points or a fine.......just said be more careful.......can i take that to mean i wont be hearing anything more about it?

Or does he not have to mention it at the time?

Thanks
    Bnev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bnev wrote:
    can i take that to mean i wont be hearing anything more about it?

no and no..... watch the post for a letter in next 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bnev

My Insurance is up soon, is there any way to find out before they send out the letter if some points have been added, for the insurance.

And is it possible that they would let you go with a warning?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bnev wrote:
    My Insurance is up soon, is there any way to find out before they send out the letter if some points have been added, for the insurance.

Thanks
    until you get a letter stating you have recieved points, you do not have any points, so you don't need to mention it to your insurance company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bnev wrote:

Thanks

1/. As Tauren said above.

2/. Possible, but highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

its looks fairly obvious that he had been let off.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Seinas wrote:
    its looks fairly obvious that he had been let off.....

no , from previous threads on here it seems the guards don't mention the points on the road side, to avoid conflict....

but I always heard them mentioning the fine "will be in the post". So i'm not too sure why he didnt say anything about that.

He didnt even confirm that I was still living at the address on the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

It's up to you to make sure the address is correct. You're getting penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

fasty wrote:
    It's up to you to make sure the address is correct. You're getting penalty points.
    not definately, i know someone pulled in recently for speeding, and the gard let them away with a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭iblis

bnev wrote:
    Hey all

If you are pulled over for speeding and the garda doesnt mention points or a fine.......just said be more careful.......can i take that to mean i wont be hearing anything more about it?

Thanks
    Bnev

If you got a ticket, it's automatic points and a fine. If you didn't get a ticket... then there's no offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

iblis wrote:
    If you got a ticket, it's automatic points and a fine. If you didn't get a ticket... then there's no offence.

WRONG! Tickets aren't always issued anymore, and don't have to be.

OP; you could be lucky, then again you may not be. Nobody on here can say one way or another. The only person who actually knows is the Garda who stopped you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ive been stopped by a guard because I broke a red light. Well it was orange, but still..! :D He pulled me over and asked why I thought he pulled me over. He then asked was the car my own car or a company car. He then asked how much I paid for it. He then informed that the next time I break a red light to be more careful because it was a nice car and he didnt want to see it getting damaged! :p

OP, i wouldnt worry regardless. If you are getting a fine and points, theres not much you can do about it now. You are already prepared to receive them. If you dont, then thats a bonus! Better to have a bonus not getting them, then being pissed off because you get them!

Fey! wrote:
    WRONG! Tickets aren't always issued anymore, and don't have to be.

OP; you could be lucky, then again you may not be. Nobody on here can say one way or another. The only person who actually knows is the Garda who stopped you.

So motorists are no longer provided with evidence that the offence occurred when pulled over by an officer?

If so, then your post is just. It's been 5 years since I have got a speeding ticket, I shall shut my mouth now.

iblis wrote:
    So motorists are no longer provided with evidence that the offence occurred when pulled over by an officer?

If so, then your post is just. It's been 5 years since I have got a speeding ticket, I shall shut my mouth now.

I was pulled over for speeding before (not painting a good picture again!) and the garda advised me I was getting points. He showed me the speed I was doing on his gun, but that was it. Didnt get a ticket or a printout. I did get the points though! :o

antodeco wrote:
    I was pulled over for speeding before (not painting a good picture again!) and the garda advised me I was getting points. He showed me the speed I was doing on his gun, but that was it. Didnt get a ticket or a printout. I did get the points though! :o

I stand humbly corrected, my how things change lol. I guess it is greener.

iblis wrote:
    I stand humbly corrected, my how things change lol. I guess it is greener.

;) In fairness, they have the handhelds to record everything now. Battery + charging power = more carbon usage then paper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Iblis; just re-read my post and realised I sounded like an obnoxious arse! Sorry.

They did away with the paper trail a while ago; it's come up here a few times, and a friend of mine in the traffic corps confirmed it for me.

Didn't think it'd be nice for the OP to get his hopes up and suddenly get the points.

Fey! wrote:
    Iblis; just re-read my post and realised I sounded like an obnoxious arse! Sorry.

They did away with the paper trail a while ago; it's come up here a few times, and a friend of mine in the traffic corps confirmed it for me.

Didn't think it'd be nice for the OP to get his hopes up and suddenly get the points.

Nope, you were dead right. There's nothing worse than someone posting up something when they don't know what they're talking about. Doesn't help anything. :)

And it's frustrating when you do know what you're talking about lol. My info was way out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

bnev wrote:
    Hey all

Thanks
    Bnev
    Only you know yourself what speed you were doing (i.e. just over the limit or well over it), and if it was a somewhat speculative patrol car pull based on an observation of speeding or the Garda actually had a speed measuring device of some description which recorded same. If it was a speed checkpoint, well then anything could happen in the next few months or not. Its at their discretion (even though the road traffic law actually isn't) whether to prosecute or not. If he took your details in a notebook where you had presented your drivers licence and insurance cert, then I would fear the worst.

However, If the Garda did not have anything scientific to substantiate his belief you were speeding well then you are in the clear. If he/she did not mention anything at all about offenses under the traffic law ... blah blah and you were very polite and he told you to be careful in a concerned/caring rather than dictatorial way, then again my guess is also you are in the clear.

Limbo is not a nice place is it ?

TomMc wrote:

Limbo is not a nice place is it ?

it is a pain alright.

Just to clear it up, he said he caught me doing between 140 and 150 in a 120 zone for a few mins. He said that I wasnt driving to the conditions(it was raining heavily), which I agreed with. He took the licence and went to his car for a few mins and came back and told me to drive a bit safer in case somebody does something stupid in front of me and I cant stop in time.

He didnt show me any proof of the speed I was doing, but he was in a new 07 unmarked BMW and I dont know if they have any devices fitted to record the speed scientifically.

I guess I'll just wait and see if I hear anything. I have slowed down since though, so either way he did his job!

• Advertisement

bnev wrote:
    it is a pain alright.

Just to clear it up, he said he caught me doing between 140 and 150 in a 120 zone for a few mins. He said that I wasnt driving to the conditions(it was raining heavily), which I agreed with. He took the licence and went to his car for a few mins and came back and told me to drive a bit safer in case somebody does something stupid in front of me and I cant stop in time.

He didnt show me any proof of the speed I was doing, but he was in a new 07 unmarked BMW and I dont know if they have any devices fitted to record the speed scientifically.

I guess I'll just wait and see if I hear anything. I have slowed down since though, so either way he did his job!

Based on that post you will be getting a fine and points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you're going to be driving at 150 in heavy rain you may not be alive when the points are eventually processed.

May sound harsh but the purpose of speed limits is to keep people alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hagar wrote:
    If you're going to be driving at 150 in heavy rain you may not be alive when the points are eventually processed.

In all fairness ot the OP, he did say he's slowed down since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yeah sorry, not really aimed directly at the OP, more a general swipe at the madness of driving at high speeds in bad weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

phutyle wrote:
    In all fairness ot the OP, he did say he's slowed down since.
    Well he'd have to.

Typing at those speeds is very dangerous. :p
    bnev wrote:

I don't think there's any need for a scientific device if a Garda had to drive at 150kmph to keep up with you, however these BMWs were purchased for exactly this, so I would imagine they are equipped with all sorts of gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If I were you I'd be expecting points.

Same thing happened to me, I made a somewhat questionable overtaking maneouvre and got pulled over by a garda on a bike who had been behind me.

Exact same thing as you I think, came over to the car and asked me to stand out, asked me did I think what I did was dangerous, agreed with him because I just wanted to be passive and get off as lightly as possible, he took my licence and asked me to sit back in, went to his bike and was on the radio for a couple minutes. Came back and was all like "Thanks, drive safely in the future!". I replied, "Thank you very much officer!!" and drove away thinking I had got off scot free. Only to get a letter in the post 2 weeks later, 2 points and an 80 euro fine.

I felt very hard done by - the overtaking maneouvre wasnt actually all that dangerous. I only agreed with him because I didnt want to seem confrontational and I very rarely speed too. But c'est la vie. Thought about appealing it but seems like more hastle than its worth so I just decided to take it as a life lesson. Next time though I wont agree with anything the Garda says and see how that route pans out.... probably end up in court. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Even if you do and they are your first two points it will have no material effect on your insurance. In my case it was six months after the event I got the points. and if you don't well it was good judgement on the Garda's part, seeing as it has positively affected your driving and attitude to speed.

Hagar wrote:

I hold my hand up to the speed, it was stupid and like I said either way the garda did his job, I have slowed down since.

I just dont think its fair to not be told(or even get hinted at) at the time that you are getting a fine and points only to get a letter a few days later, if I do. I understand that the garda are trying to avoid confronations and all that, but surely anyone who is pulled over has a right to know at the time, especially if it is the first offence and I don't know the whole procedure.

But thats life, lesson learned.........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm sort of in the same boat now!

Was in a hurry to get to work as I had left a meeting I was in kind of late and was rushing (read: speeding) to get to work on time.

Anyway, got on to the M4 at Maynooth: Garda sitting at the slip road checking cars, let me through without checking.

Drove down the M4 and as I came onto the N4 I hadn't slowed much, pulled on down into Lucan and heard the sirens just as I left the slip road.

Anyway, he showed me my speed on the gun and I gave him my license (not that he asked for it) and he just took a look at it. He didn't take down any of my details and just told me to slow down and take it easy. He may have gone easy on me as I told him I was pushing it to get to work on time, it was 8:35 so I had 20 minutes to finish the trip from Lucan to Blanch (made it in on time though!).

Hopefully i'm in the clear now but if I do get a fine+points in the post I deserve them, the Guard said that 'it would have been 2 points' to me so i'm presuming that he will let me off with it, fingers are crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I got stopped speeding on the m50 by an unmarked car. The gaurd said i was doing 150 kms and gave out to me for a while but not in an unpleasant manor, then checked my discs, asked me to produve insurance and asked why i had no nct. Then told me i was lucky not to be getting any points and got back in his car. I was in shock, the one other time i was caught seeding doing 86mph in a 60 zone the gaurd said they are obliged to give a ticket if you are going over 20mph over the limit. I was trying to figure out why i didnt get a ticket, i was only doing about 120 when i was actually stopped, he followed me for several miles, maybe that had something to do with it.

Advertisement