Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

I wasnt stoppeed today but I spotted the boyo with his handheld up on the fly over of the motorway at the drogheda north exit. My car has an English reg and I havent registered it in my own name as I havent has time to tax it. Could I still be traced?I was doing 130kmh (80mph) in a 120kmh (75mph) zone so would I be ok doing that speed anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

I wasnt stoppeed today but I spotted the boyo with his handheld up on the fly over of the motorway at the drogheda north exit. My car has an English reg and I havent registered it in my own name as I havent has time to tax it. Could I still be traced?I was doing 130kmh (80mph) in a 120kmh (75mph) zone so would I be ok doing that speed anyway?

are you living and residing in the south? have u paid vrt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

if he didnt take your details then you were let off!!!it is very unusual to be let off for speeding though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

what_car wrote:
    are you living and residing in the south? have u paid vrt?

Im living in the south and havent paid VRT yet.Dont have the tax book as yet.
    Have I escaped?I have a clean licence so would they take pity on me?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

I just had a very strange but similar experience. Late the other night I was heading home on a 100Kph road and I was doing 100 the whole way, but as I was going down hill I picked up speed to about 105-110 and just then I saw the police car in the dark. I immediately tapped the brakes and dropped below 100, but I knew it was too late. As I watched in my mirror he eventually pulled out and turned around heading towards me, but with no flashing lights (it was late an no one else was on the road). He then followed be at a distance for about 2-3 miles while I kept it at about 90Kph. I assumed since it was late at night he might have been observing my driving and fortunately I had nothing to drink. He eventually put on the flashing lights and I pulled over. He said I was going a bit fast, but didn't specify a speed and asked to see my license and asked if that was my current address. When I told him I recently moved he requested my new address and wrote it down on a very unofficially looking piece of scrap paper with all other notes and scribbles on it. He then checked my tax and insurance and went back to his car. He then returned to my car and gave me back my license and just say slow down and he started to walk away. I then called him back and asked "does this mean you are not going to give me a ticket?" and he replied, "I'm not going to give you a ticket, but you'll get one in the post and he left. I tried to ask another question but he jumped in his car knowing I was try to ask him a question and took off.

I find this very strange since he never stated how fast I was going, he followed me for a good few minutes before signally for me to pull over, never gave me any piece of paper, wrote my new address not on any special form just a busy piece of scrap paper and if I didn't ask he never would have even told me I was getting a ticket, he never mentioned anything about the fine or points and other than saying I was going a bit fast he never gave me an opportunity to defend myself. Now I hear when I eventually do get the ticket (with the fine and points) if I try to question it I will almost certainly lose and they will double the penalty for my arrogance for questioning such an unprofessional procedure. Certainly it must be time for a revolution! What can I do???
    Boz :mad: :(:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Hi Boz,

Very strange experience!! I was under the impression that Traffic Corps had a sort of PDA device on which they wrote the tickets. This sounds more like a member of the standard units trying to get his numbers up for applying to Traffic Corps.

If you were doing only 100-110 kph when he got you with (I'm assuming) a laser gun, it's still not high enough to prosecute for speeding. The fact that he said a ticket was in the post, while not specifying what, is stupid. I would be very interested to see what comes in the post. If your tax, NCT and insurance are all fine, I can't really tell what he would have pulled you over for.

Seriously, your speed was only like 94-105 on his laser gun. I can't see why it would be speeding. :confused:

It's fairly annoying waiting, I'd be inclined to call over to the station, ask to speak to the Superintendent or Sgt in charge to complain, that was beyond unprofessional. Hopefully your ticket will be reneged as well. Don't leave it to the court date!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Maoleary,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't have been going any faster than 110 in a 100 and I suspect I was closer to 105, do they have a limit or percentage for prosecution, +10%?

Can't call into any Garda station, because he gave me no details, I know I should have at least asked his name, but I was scared and although he was nice, he was very uncooperative/talkative. Since it was at night and I was miles from home, I wouldn't even know the jurisdiction.

Finally, I'm just after finding out if you pay the fine you get 2 points and it's €80, but if you got to court and loose (and it's just your word against them) they double the points to 4 and increase the fine to €120. How is this fair and constitutional, do we live in a communist country, where they bully and intimidate you to accept it. It seems that murders and drug dealers have more rights in the courts than ordinary people!! I know many will argue they want to stop the carnage on the roads, but that doesn't mean they can walk all over our rights!:confused: :mad: :(

Advertisement