Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little guidence here!!

Options
  • 04-08-2007 10:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know the blues and pentatonic scale but thats it... dont even know is it the minor or major Im playing!lol!

Could someone post the major and minor scale or the pentatonic scale please?

And is their such thing as just a Major Scale and Minor? Or am I getting confused?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It's all about context...when you say you 'know the pentatonic' scale, you probably mean you know a bunch of box shapes. It doesnt become major or minor until you play it in the context of a song - shape 1 might be A minor pentatonic if you play it in the fifth fret, but equally, that same shape in that same position could be *something* (cant remember..) major pentatonic, depending on which notes you regard as the root note, and what chords youre playing over.

And that's true of most scales and modes. Im no expert, but as a guitarist, you can learn a few basic patterns and shapes, and use them to form just about any scale or mode by understanding the underlying theory, and shifting the root notes etc.

Its all pretty complicated tbh, best thing you can do is get hold of a book that covers theory from a guitarists perspective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^thanks!

I will look about for books!

Advertisement