Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was that mad old hotel in Sligo that used to have gigs?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I remember it from the early 90's, it was decrepit at that stage and had the look of an old show band venue. Meatloaf played there then. The stage had different levels on it. Ring any bells for anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yore Ma's place.

//I see this is now moved from After Hours, disregard. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

can't think where you might be thinking of???? lots of dumps in the nineties - the southern, the silver swan, what was the nite club in wine st carpark called then?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

If its in Sligo county I was thinking it might be the Baymount hotel in Strandhill. It used to have gigs like Moving Hearts and all the like. Come to think of it they even did roller discos as well back then. Do you remember them? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

frobisher wrote:
    I remember it from the early 90's, it was decrepit at that stage and had the look of an old show band venue. Meatloaf played there then. The stage had different levels on it. Ring any bells for anyone?

Meatloaf Nealon?

folkswagen wrote:
    can't think where you might be thinking of???? lots of dumps in the nineties - the southern, the silver swan, what was the nite club in wine st carpark called then?????

originally called "Club Neptune" - then closed and reopened for a short time as something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The Clarence ??? :o Blue Lagoon ???? :o and there was another one beside the river where the DSW and the weekender have their offices.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The Bective Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Clarence i reckon!

basquille wrote:
    The Clarence i reckon!

did the clarence even have a stage? I know it had a DJ box but no stage afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I doubt it was the clarence no space for gig in there, maybe the becktive. Ballroom of romance in Glenfarne? Not sligo though. There was also a place on strandhill road I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ifz more than likely the Blue Lagoon.

Interesting fact for you all, U2 played there. years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

nanook wrote:
    ifz more than likely the Blue Lagoon.

Interesting fact for you all, U2 played there. years ago

Cool. Were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

he did said hotel too so thats blue and balroom of romance out.

I was in the blue when Sultans of Ping played, somehow got myself wasn't of legal age back then.

Well I heard that both U2 and Thin Lizzy played in the Baymount Hotel in Strandhill too. (reliable source older sister!) Obv Baymount a credible venue. Cant say I remember its specific features, except the floor was hard if you fell on rollerskates :D

JoeyJJ wrote:
    I doubt it was the clarence no space for gig in there, maybe the becktive. Ballroom of romance in Glenfarne? Not sligo though. There was also a place on strandhill road I think.

The Silver Slipper in Strandhill?? Dont remember it myself but me ould fella has told me stories of have to fight his way outta the place on a few occasions when he was young

tuppence wrote:
    Well I heard that both U2 and Thin Lizzy played in the Baymount Hotel in Strandhill too. (reliable source older sister!) Obv Baymount a credible venue. Cant say I remember its specific features, except the floor was hard if you fell on rollerskates :D

and roy orbison (sp?) also

The Silver Slipper turned into the Baymount Hotel apparently? The Silver Slipper was a ballroom wasnt it? ...;)

tuppence wrote:
    The Silver Slipper turned into the Baymount Hotel apparently? The Silver Slipper was a ballroom wasnt it? ...;)

I think so, I kind of remember it a wee bit, on the left as you went to Strandill, gravel car parking in front of it.

I think so, I kind of remember it a wee bit, on the left as you went to Strandill, gravel car parking in front of it.
    Yep its demolished now by all accounts.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

JoeyJJ wrote:
    I doubt it was the clarence no space for gig in there.

Yes there was; The Glam Tarts, RDF, Sack, The Void Effect, Eastern Star and The Forget-me-nots all played, just to name a few of many.

• Advertisement

Yes there was; The Glam Tarts, RDF, Sack, The Void Effect, Eastern Star and The Forget-me-nots all played, just to name a few of many.

The Void Effect - theres a blast from the past

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm pretty sure the OP is thinking of the "Bective Hotel", which later on operated as the "BearCat", which was a live music venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

look of an old show band venue
    and a stage with different levels. Doesn't sound like Clarence or Bective.

What ever happened to the Void Effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gerry720

The Silver Slipper was a ballroom built onto the Baymount Hotel in Strandhill and opened in 1960. In 1976 another ballroom called the Baymount Entertainment Centre was added onto that making two ballrooms side by side. They have all been demolished to make way for apartments about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

originally called "Club Neptune" - then closed and reopened for a short time as something else

I think there was the adelade in wine Street carpark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

was 'The Limit' the name of the club under the adelaide in quinnsworth carpark (now tesco) they had a huge spotlight that shone up into the sky and could be seen out in the boonies.

about the Baymount/Silver Slipper in strandhill:

http://sligotoday.ie/printable.php?id=40378

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Maybe it was SCRUPLES that was in the Clarence Hotel back towards the late eighties...

A guy used to drink in there that was nicknamed Meatloaf and would get up and sing most nights..

Maybe this is what the OP is thinking of and some crossed wires biggrin.png

Advertisement