Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeds & Alien species

Options
  • 04-08-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey...I'm looking to get a hold of the following seeds;

Myrica gale
    Achillea millefolium
    Rhododendron tomentosum or Rhododendron groenlandicum
    Artemisia vulgaris
    Artemisia absinthium

The idea is I want to make a small herb garden with some of these herbs that were very popular in medieval Europe. A friend has offered to send some over from his garden in New York, but I'm nervous about importing possibly alien species without a licence.

So does anyone:
    Know where I could get them (seeds, plants or herbs) in Ireland (first two seem easy enough over the internet from abroad).
    If there is someone I could contact to find out do I need to get a licence
    If it would be bad to plant some or all of these species in the wild, and let them grow on a roadside etc.

Any answers would be good, as long as the end result is that I can get a hold of some of the herbs in the end !

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I always worry about the use/propogation of anything called VULGARIS after planting a variety in my pond that took over the complete surface very quickly ..... I was literally removing it by the wheelbarrow load every few weeks ..... :(

I looked up the 'Artemisia vulgaris' in your list and found some worrying characteristics ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugwort

You are certainly correct to do some detailed research before introducing anything into Ireland that may do more harm than good .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Myrica Gale (bog myrtle) is available as a cultivated plant, and therefore may well be available from a good garden centre.

Achillia and both artimesias are common and widespread in the wild in both of these islands. Artemesia absinthum possibly less so.

I can't help you with the rhododendrons.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/pages/index.asp?cid=211

Chiltern seeds (link above) do a huge range of seeds which would probably be of help.

I would be reluctant to sow any seeds in the wild, but I could not see any problem with putting the ones you have mentioned (apart from the rhododendron) in a herb bed as they are all very common.

(where did that 'thumbs up' come from)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

A friend offered to me me use his conservatory to grow them (might also guarantee a crop, for a change).

Any idea of possible legal problems importing from the US, without going through the dept. of agriculture etc. ?

I'd a look through the regulations, and they seem more concerned with making sure that you don't bring in seeds that the Irish agriculture industry relies on.

John

Advertisement