Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot and Mouth restrictions

Options
  • 04-08-2007 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

I'm new and I apologise for immediately seeking your advice and not contributing to the forum first but....

I am coming back from Manchester to Cork next week on hols with my dog and the gov have issued a ban on animals being imported from Britain-the thing is one minute Minister Coughlan says livestock but then also says live animals so basically I was wondering, does anyone know if the ban affects dogs too or is it just livestock? Its gonna be a disaster if I can't bring him. We've no-one to mind him and I'm too broke for kennels. EEEEK!!! Obviously I'm not gonna leave him by himself but we've paid out all our money for the holiday. :eek:

I know I should ring the dept of agriculture- cannot ring locall 1890 number from britain and the irish ferry offices are closed until monday apparently so if anyone knows anything then I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance and again, apologies for storming in with a question and not contributing to the forum first.

EDIT- I should note that obviously the welfare of the country's agricultural industry is far more important than my little problem-but still like-tis a dilemma all the same-for me anyway!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

As I understand it - it only applies to cloven hoofed animals (e.g. cattle, pigs, sheep).. at least I think that was the restriction last time.. but I could very well be wrong..

Best to check with the Department of Agriculture - or perhaps another poster has a more definitive answer..

Actually - here's the latest on the DoA website.. http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=pressrel/2007/143-2007.xml

Also contact information here.. http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=contact.xml there's a Dublin number as well as a 1890 number..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blaise83

Cheers Irish Wolf. I mean I can understand it if they ban poor little Rocky as all animals could carry it-even though he's not been near a farm but that's irrelevant, a ban is a ban. But I only saw the article on the RTE website a while ago so the dept of agriculture is closed til monday I reckon. Still I plan on getting my mum to phone monday morn as I cannot phone the locall number from the UK. I was just wondering if anyone knew so I could spend the weekend begging people to mind him while we are away. If not then I guess its goodbye holiday. I couldn't leave him by himself like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cheers. Thats what I thought it would be but then the other statements say all live animals aswell-I would think both you and irish wolf are right though. I hope so!!!

• Advertisement

Bank holiday weekend here - so your best best is probably to ring the ferry company yourself on Monday as you'll get nothing from the DoA til Tuesday - although they've probably got a recorded message about it..

Best of luck.

ah shur I forgot. Of course it is. ye lucky b**tards.lol. I miss that bank holiday at the beginning of Aug.

Thanks for all your help though. Much appreciated.

just thought I'd update you. Spoke with Irish Ferries this morn-they were open!!! And the UK dept of agriculture. They tell me its fine to bring pets over-so if anyone else was wondering, there ya go.

Cheers to everyone for their help last night!

Advertisement