Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Media Player won't play DVDs properly

• 05-08-2007 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

All I get is the audio. Tried a couple of different DVDs - same deal. All other type of vide plays (mpeg1, flv, real, etc.). Followed the troubleshooter on the Microsoft website which involves right-clicking on the file being played and select properties.

According to the troubleshooter, if the media type shows up as audio, then it's a codec problem. Thing is, I've installed ffdshow and the codec pack from free-codecs.com and still get no video. Plus I've rebooted in between.

I've spent the last two hours of a bank holiday Saturday night trying to troubleshoot this problem and I am getting nowhere.

I used to be able to play DVDs, the only thing I can think of that has changed is the video driver.

Any ideas what I else I can try? It's Windows Xp home edition, btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, I am not willing to pay to play a flippin' DVD. All of those require payment.

Here's a good one for you - Windows Media Player Classic has no problem with the DVDs. WTF is going on? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Im running Vista , but came across a similar problem to yourself when I updated my Nvidia drivers recently , it removed my default mpeg 2 decoder ( thats whats needed to play DVD's )

( As an aside , im not accusing anyone , but nvidia have their own purevideo decoder that they are pushing , and a paranoid guy ....might think they deleted mine deliberately in the chance of making a sale .... a paranoid guy might think that !! )

Download this , and run it , it will tell you what Decoder is currently the default and what decoders you have as options , switching between them should work out which one is functional , if you have none , you'll have to get one !!

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Windows_XP_Video_Decoder_Checkup_Utility.htm

Advertisement