Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What broadband to go on live?

• 05-08-2007 1:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

im nearly finished a contract i have had with vodafone for one of them datacard joke of a things:rolleyes: ., im looking to get broadband that i can use my 360 with and im just wondering what other members are using, i need something thats fairly reliable and wont freeze or disrupt the game.,
    Also i dont actually have a phone line at the moment but would prefer phoneline broadband for relaiblilty,., would it be much hassle to have a line fitted? and would they have to start drilling stuff and taking all day etc?.,

cheers people!.,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gorilla

I don't know what they do when installing a phoneline type broadband but I have a 1mb connection that worked well. Did suffer from disconnects here and there but I don't know if that was my connection or the game itself.

Where do you live? You'll need to know what broadband providers are available in your area.

This website is good for discussing broadband matters aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moggins

i have digiweb 1mb wireless and its generally fine. only when its really cloudy or something does the connection go down but its usuall up again in a few seconds.
    handier than gettin in a phoneline as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

moggins wrote:
    i have digiweb 1mb wireless and its generally fine. only when its really cloudy or something does the connection go down
    isnt it always cloudy here though.,lol.,
    Im living in the citycentre so shouldnt be a problem with availablity but was just wondering what other peoples experiences were.,
    So LIVE doesnt need a fairly quick broadband speed to work properly then?.,
    cheers,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

vtec wrote:
    isnt it always cloudy here though.,lol.,
    Im living in the citycentre so shouldnt be a problem with availablity but was just wondering what other peoples experiences were.,
    So LIVE doesnt need a fairly quick broadband speed to work properly then?.,
    cheers,

I have a 2mb NTL line works a charm with Live, I am sure the 1mb line would be just fine too, if you have the cable TV option. Need to sign up for the Ditigal TV but at least no phone lines are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I've just a plain old Eircom broadband and it does the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

marco_polo wrote:
    I have a 2mb NTL line works a charm with Live, I am sure the 1mb line would be just fine too, if you have the cable TV option. Need to sign up for the Ditigal TV but at least no phone lines are required.
    I have the 1mb NTL and it works a treat.

Was tempted to get the 2mb just to see if my online scores improved, but decided I was just deluding myself. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭Damien360

Using Eircom 1Mb and it works well with GOW and Call of Duty (last one). But, I also tried FIFA 07 and it struggled. Lots of lag, players suddenly stopping for a second and darting forward. Most players will disconnect you very quickly when this happens. Only person who does'nt is a close friend. Saw a thread recently and Pro Evo had the same issue. Lots of data up a 100kB upload line.

anyone using 2Mb eircom for FIFA07. Is it worth the extra spend? No bitching about FIFA, I am a long time fan !

I noticed that with Fifa online on the old Xbox, but as for PES... it's a different story. Played it today and it was as if you were playing it with a lad sitting beside you. Very fun and with no lags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I think that 1mb Eircom only has 128kb upload speed, which just isn't enough for online gaming. So anything with 256kb upload should be an improvement...

Well I think I've a 2mb Eircom, so I suppose if the 1mb would give 128kb then the 2mb would give you 256kb (if thats how it works ofcourse). Mine does me grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭redbhoy1888

Ive got 1 mb Eircom and it works really well only disconnect problem was the one with Pro Evo and is far as I know thats been resolved.In general it works fine for everything.Dunno why it wouldnt just be good enough for online gaming when Ive played 700+ matches in Pro Evo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Ok, I'll rephrase. 128kb isn't good enough for some online gaming. Some will work fine, but if the game wants to push more than about 10kB/s upload, it falls to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

marco_polo wrote:

You don't need digital tv.
    All you need for NTL(UPC) broadband is a television cable, as in basic analogue.
    vtec wrote:
    Im living in the citycentre so shouldnt be a problem with availablity

Despite what a lot of people in Dublin seem to think, there is more than one city in Ireland!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah i think 256k up is bare min for some games,
    im on 2mb iolbb, bt? i think i am on 256kb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Never had a problem or any issues playing XBL on NTL 6MB/512k connection.

Hj

Advertisement