Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage Question - moving gear from States

Options
  • 05-08-2007 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi - I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to anywhere online. I am about to move to Ireland from the States with my GF. I am a musician, and have an M-Audio Firewire Solo Recording Interface into which I plug a mic and my guitar. I use it with Garageband on my little laptop - an ibook G4. I know that the ibook automatically switches internally when presented with a different voltage - but I cannot find any information about a phantom power hardware attched to the ibook. I really don't want my M-Audio to go boom. Can anyone tell me if I need a transformer, or will the ibook's auto-switch take care of everything? As I said, the M-Audio runs off the ibook's power (although I can plug it in, it is not advisable) , and the mic runs on phantom power as well.

Thanks for any help!

[:)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hi, welcome to the forum.

As far as I know (and I'm not 100% sure on this, so you should double check!) your iBook's transformer will ensure that the correct voltage is being used internally. Therefore your interface should recieve the correct voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

My M-Audio Firewire unit was imported from America and runs fine powered by my MacBook bought here in Ireland if that's any use to you. I run it powered off the Firewire and don't use a transformer.

I think once the laptop that's supplying the power has switched to the correct voltage anything running off USB or Firewire will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bluevoice

Great! Thanks!

One more question - any tips on shops where I can get a regular adapter (and also maybe an adapter/converter) for my electronics gear that isn't dual voltage? I'm having trouble finding that info online as well - I did look it up (for shops in Dub) - but everything oddly seems to be for the reverse voltage change.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Creamy Sonic

I moved from the states as well. Got all of my transformers in Maplins. No problem and they know what they are doing in there.

I am pretty sure you will need a transformer for the laptop, prob pick that up in the apple store or apple online , or better yet ebay.ie or ebay.co.uk

Good luck. Music gear is much more expensive here than in the states. It can be a pain dragging transformers around with you but if you need anything that doesn't need to be plugged in then bring it with you. Seriously load up on plecks and strings.

Advertisement