Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Of All Pc's...!

Options
  • 05-08-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been working as a freelance web designer / IT bit n pieces for the past few years... I'm also a bit of a PC gamer. I'm considering a huge jump and went to Dell to build a monster!

Heres the spec... (I've already got a 19" Dell flatscreen / 2-3 terabytes of external HD units)

DimensionTM XPS 710 ( D08XP5A)
    € 3,774.19

Base:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core QX6700 Extreme Processor (2.66GHz,1066MHz,8MB cache)

Cover It with Dell Support Services:
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)

Monitor:
    No Monitor (see above!)

Memory:
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

Hard Drive:
    320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive

CD/DVD Drives:
    16x DVD+/-RW & 16x DVD Drives

Video Card:
    SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card

Physics PCI card:
    128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card

Gedis Bundle Reference:
    List D08XP5a - XPS 710

Speakers:
    Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speaker System

Keyboard:
    Dell™ Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard and Optical Mouse - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

Media Card Reader:
    Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader

Modem:
    No Modem

Dell System Media Kit:
    Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)

I'm going to keep my existing PC - so I can use both. I've a second monitor for the old one...

I'm converting my attic into a den / office so I'l get a phone point for the BB installed (I've currently a 3 meg BT line) Will I need to order a modem from Dell for the new one? Is it possible to SPLIT my BB line between the two PC's?! (Both will be in the attic)

What would I need to do in order to facilitate this? If another line is introduced into the attic would the connetion be solid?! My current desktop is not wireless (using a ZyXEL Prestige 600 series modem)

What do guys (in your wisdom!) think of the spec? I know it's a few bob, but I'm open to alternatives...

Thanks in advance! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For this sort of thing you'd be better off doing a self build then let Dell doing it for you.

Looking over the spec lose the Ageia PhysX card it's useless.

The 8800GTX and Vista 64-bit if thats what you using for the OS don't play nice with each other, NVIDIA's 32-bit driver is fine but their 64-bit lags behind. If you want to keep the 8800GTX I would consider dropping to 2GB or 3GB of RAM & stick with 32-bit OS.

If you plan on going 64-bit go with an ATI 2900XT.

The CPU if you ever plan on overclocking well you could save money and just get a Q6600 instead but not sure really what sort of overclocking options Dell gives to XPS owners or whether their cooler would hold up.

For the broadband just get a router with built in DSL modem & wireless support like the Netgear RangeMAX that way you can leave your broadband connection in place and the computers can connect via wireless (PCI or USB) if wired if you run ethernet cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I agree with 8T8.

3,774.19 is crazy money to give Dell for a system like that when you can self build the same system for close to if not under 2K, (spend more on the converting of your attic.

Im not sure what the motherbord is like with Dell XPS, but you could self build with a much better motherbord (P35 chipset that supports 45NM) that would be completely future proof.

Then on top of that as 8T8 said dont go for Vista 64Bit. I have tried and tested all 64Bit vs all 32Bit versions of Vista and the 64's just dont have the drivers and support available. Something like Vista 32Bit Business will do fine.

If you want I can throw together something for you and see what price your looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

At that price, I presume it's watercooled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I agree with 8T8.

3,774.19 is crazy money to give Dell for a system like that when you can self build the same system for close to if not under 2K, (spend more on the converting of your attic.

Im not sure what the motherbord is like with Dell XPS, but you could self build with a much better motherbord (P35 chipset that supports 45NM) that would be completely future proof.

Then on top of that as 8T8 said dont go for Vista 64Bit. I have tried and tested all 64Bit vs all 32Bit versions of Vista and the 64's just dont have the drivers and support available. Something like Vista 32Bit Business will do fine.

If you want I can throw together something for you and see what price your looking at.

Can you please... Do you build yourself? I would entertain this option only I wouldn't have the tech savvy to buy the components and build it myself... I like the funky case with the LEDs that comes with the XPS, would you include something simular?

Anyone else that fancies a nixer - feel free to post here or PM me!

I just want a rocket that will fly along with multiple applications and is good for gaming... I'm not that deep into overclocking, so it's have to be hot as it!

As a matter of interest, there is a xp option available from Dell - do you guys rate Vista?

Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Sticker sent you a PM, but for anyone else

Asus Blitz Extreme Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers - OEM
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA804)
    BFG 800W UK/PFC Approved PSU
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora Black No PSU with Side Vent
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6850 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

Is basically a decent build by no means perfect but thrown together for
    € 2,435.42. It means you will be saving yourself almost 1,400 that could be otherwise spent, the machine also will be 100% overclockable and future proof as it will support DD3 and the new 45NM CPU's that Intel are bringing out

• Advertisement

Sticker sent you a PM, but for anyone else

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA804)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6850 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

Is basically a decent build by no means perfect but thrown together for
    € 2,435.42. It means you will be saving yourself almost 1,400 that could be otherwise spent, the machine also will be 100% overclockable and future proof as it will support DD3 and the new 45NM CPU's that Intel are bringing out

Appreciate that Rattlehead... although I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at - As I said before I'm not a hardware guru by any stretch! Whereas it's a saving, it's still a lot of money to spend, and whereas I'll have a degree of comeback to Dell, I'll have none with a home-made jobbie... I'm not dismissing the option by any means - I'm sure you all understand I'd have some healthy concerns all the same!

Anyone have any thoughts on this spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Seems better than the dell anyway... If you get this months Custom Pc Magazine it has an article about a 1000 dell machine or a custuom built 1000 machine... the custom one won!

You would probably be better off buying a custom build one off overclockers.co.uk or komplett.ie

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

check out this thread, its a fantastic rig and he's interested in selling it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

requiem1 wrote:
    check out this thread, its a fantastic rig and he's interested in selling it

He's looking for about 3000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

He's looking for about 3000 for it.

yeah thats a f*cking steal....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

papu wrote:
    yeah thats a f*cking steal....

How much would that beast cost new? It has 2 scsi disks in it as well. Don't those things cost a fortune.

So this would be the clear winner atm? Does anyone know the guy? vouch for his building?!

(the one posted here)
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055129347

sticker wrote:
    So this would be the clear winner atm? Does anyone know the guy? vouch for his building?!

(the one posted here)
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055129347

Going by his sig I'd say he does a lot of building and overclocking so he probably knows his stuff. You should PM him ask him for pics and 3dmark scores and the also what software he's selling with it. He might be keeping his windows license for himself.

Yes it is a great computer. The only things that the dell build has over this is the physics card (which as pointed out before is pointless at the moment) and the ram 4gigs vs 2gigs but you could easily add this in yourself. Also I'd say the ram gline uses would be a lot better than the ram dell would use. Glines rig also has two scsi drives striped. The thing probably takes half a second to boot up. If I had the money I'd buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

1 point ...

Why spend so much money on a machine like this to use it on a 19inch monitor.
    I'd regard a good monitor as money well spent. It will add so much more than say that extra 10% of power you'll be getting for 500-1000€ (by that I mean go one step down in cpu and gfx)

I'd also buy a sexy set of speakers, and a top keyboard and mouse.

the pc for 3g has a 24" screen , ive seen that screen before its actually the sex!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the computer you said has good specs.
    check these out.

your not looking to self build. this is with alienware.
    same price as yours but im my opinion, a lot better.

dual graphics cards, amd quad cores, 4gb ram, amazing sound card, etc.

but the main thing is...... ITS NOT A DELL.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Processor with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology

Genuine Windows® Vista Ultimate

Alienware® AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling + AlienFX™ System Lighting + Alienware® High-Performance Liquid Cooling

NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard

Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - SLI Enabled

Extreme Performance 800MHz Low-Latency DDR2 SDRAM - 4GB - 4 x 1024MB

1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

500 GB Serial ATA 3 Gbit/s 7,200 RPM with 2 x 8MB Cache (2 x 250GB)

20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Writer

Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

have a look. the case and everything else looks amazing aswel.

http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_pages/Aurora_ALX/Aurora_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-EU-AURORA-ALX-R7&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

alienware = DELL!!!!

dont get an alienware especially one with a sucky amd

quadcore c2d ftw kk?!

A lot to choose from...!

To be honest, I'm a little lost...

These are the alternatives atm:

Dell - DimensionTM XPS 710 ( D08XP5A) € 3,774.19

Base:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core QX6700 Extreme Processor (2.66GHz,1066MHz,8MB cache)
    Cover It with Dell Support Services:
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    Monitor:
    No Monitor (I already have a 19" - but would like a larger one to be sure!)
    Memory:
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    Hard Drive:
    320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    CD/DVD Drives:
    16x DVD+/-RW & 16x DVD Drives
    Video Card:
    SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
    Physics PCI card:
    128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card
    Gedis Bundle Reference:
    List D08XP5a - XPS 710
    Speakers:
    Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speaker System
    Keyboard:
    Dell™ Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard and Optical Mouse - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Media Card Reader:
    Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Modem:
    No Modem
    Dell System Media Kit:
    Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)

From gline €3000

Intel QX6700@3.34ghz
    Tuniq tower cooled
    EVGA nForce 680i mobo
    Corsair 2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
    2x POV 8800gtx
    2x scsi320 147gig 15k rpm hdds raid0 + PCI-E SCSI RAID CARD
    320gig sata2
    Nec 5170 Dvdrw
    XFI Fatality Fps
    PC P+C 750 Silencer Quad
    24" Dell 2407WFP
    Creative 7900 7.1 system
    CM Stacker

From Rattlehead_ie - € 2,435.42

RoyalMarineComm - Alienware - €3000+

dual graphics cards, amd quad cores, 4gb ram, amazing sound card, etc.
    but the main thing is...... ITS NOT A DELL.
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Processor with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
    Genuine Windows® Vista Ultimate
    Alienware® AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling + AlienFX™ System Lighting + Alienware® High-Performance Liquid Cooling
    NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
    Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - SLI Enabled
    Extreme Performance 800MHz Low-Latency DDR2 SDRAM - 4GB - 4 x 1024MB
    1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    500 GB Serial ATA 3 Gbit/s 7,200 RPM with 2 x 8MB Cache (2 x 250GB)
    20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Writer
    Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Although papu tells me to stear clear of ALienware or more to the point the "sucky amd quadcore c2d ftw kk?!" !!

Robertr - €3500

Case
    Thermaltake VD4000BWS LCS Kandalf Full Tower - Black
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-045-TT&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=715
    Price New: €220.00

PSU
    Seasonic M12 Modular 700W Silent ATX2.0
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-007-SS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=589
    Price New: €315.00

Motherboard
    EVGA nForce 680i SLi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (122-CK-NF68-A1)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-000-EA&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=205
    Price New: €253.00

Processor (About 3 months old)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6700
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-139-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=793
    Price New: €928.00

Memory
    4 GBOCZ 2GB (4 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-082-OC
    Price New: €315.00

Graphics Card
    Point of View GeForce 8800GTX 768MB, GDDR3, PCI-Express
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327539
    Price New: €536.00

Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 Soundcard
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-045-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=
    Price New: €90.00

Hard Drive
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB WD1500AHFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-073-WD
    Price New: €220.00

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit Edition
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-040-MS
    Price: €175.00

Monitor
    Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP-HC 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-017-DE&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=
    Price New: €1,800.00

Drives
    Samsung SH-S203BEBN 20x20 DVD±RW Dual Layer Serial ATA
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD-088-SA&groupid=701&catid=10&subcat=185
    Price New: €35.00

Additional
    DangerDen 8800 GTX Block
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-004-DD&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=193
    Price New: €136.00

DangerDen Maze 4 Nvidia 680i Chipset Block
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-025-DD&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=193
    Price New: €43.00

Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speaker
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-094-CL&groupid=702&catid=22&subcat=448
    Price New: €87.00

Logitech G5 Gaming-Grade Laser Mouse
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-069-LG&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=3
    Price New: €60.00

Drive: 13-1 Media Card Reader
    Keyboard: Microsoft Optical Desktop Keyboard Fingerprint

I'm kinda leaning towards Robertr's Rig... what do you guys think? Is it the best rig here?

Do you guys rate the Alienware's at all...?

BIG FAVOUR to ask you guys...!! would anyone (just to have the option) fancy putting together a rig from Komplett.ie with a budget of €3000...?!

Like I've said before, this is a big harware buy for me, to do me for a few years - and I want to make the correct decision...

Thanks again...

Conor

Robertr wrote:

I'm interested Robert - whats the current situation with the sale? price? when are you heading to oz?

I'm looking at alternatives, but to see a package with a monitor (and a VERY good one too!) is definately a bonus!

Let me know mate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sticker wrote:
    I'm interested Robert - whats the current situation with the sale? price? when are you heading to oz?

I'm looking at alternatives, but to see a package with a monitor (and a VERY good one too!) is definately a bonus!

Let me know mate...

You've got your wires crossed, Gline is going to Oz and selling his monster rig, Robertr is also selling his rig but this is to fund a new motor.

Either rig will be well worth the money, higher spec and better built than DELL.

Glines has SLI, but robertr has a 30" screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thats some amount of stuff Bro, tbh except for the quad core and a few other bits I havent heard of most of the stuff as its been a while since I built or worked on anything with such a high spec, I would be looking at a 24" screen at least with something like this or a dual screen. Nice specs though, personally I would get the option with the most future-proofing built in and to me that means self build. Best of luck choosing :)

heres one i threw together ..its a monster missing a monitor tho il pick one out f or you if you want

quad core

case

dvd burner

gtx

hard drives x2

mainboard

ram X2

mouse

mousemat

speakers

psu

cpu cooler

thermal paste

vista 64bit

all for Sum: 2.055,40 € 1)

plus 40 for delivery :D

Borderfox wrote:
    Thats some amount of stuff Bro, tbh except for the quad core and a few other bits I havent heard of most of the stuff as its been a while since I built or worked on anything with such a high spec, I would be looking at a 24" screen at least with something like this or a dual screen. Nice specs though, personally I would get the option with the most future-proofing built in and to me that means self build. Best of luck choosing :)

Thanks K, appreciate the advice bro!

papu wrote:
    heres one i threw together ..its a monster missing a monitor tho il pick one out f or you if you want

quad core

case

dvd burner

gtx

hard drives x2

mainboard

ram X2

mouse

mousemat

speakers

psu

cpu cooler

thermal paste

vista 64bit

all for Sum: 2.055,40 € 1)

plus 40 for delivery :D

Thanks for taking the time and giving me a quote... you're in the running!

Although, as has been raised here already it appears the 64bit Vista package doesn't have a good support package for current software - ie drivers etc.

Would you concur? What the main difference between the 32 & the 64bi technologies?

L31mr0d wrote:
    You've got your wires crossed, Gline is going to Oz and selling his monster rig, Robertr is also selling his rig but this is to fund a new motor.

Either rig will be well worth the money, higher spec and better built than DELL.

Glines has SLI, but robertr has a 30" screen.

Apologies L31mr0d! As said before I like Robertr's rig - would you rate it's gaming prowess above the others?!

Sorry for the probable dumbass question - but whats SLI re: Glines rig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

SLI is dual graphics cards. Combining the power of two cards. As far as I know you can only connect screens to the master card.

sticker wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time and giving me a quote... you're in the running!

Although, as has been raised here already it appears the 64bit Vista package doesn't have a good support package for current software - ie drivers etc.

Would you concur? What the main difference between the 32 & the 64bi technologies?

well go for a 32 bit os itl save you around 80 euros, vista recognizes 4gigs of ram anyways ,

sli isnt great tbh its maybe 50% increase in preformance for 100% price increase , it means a better psu more energy spent and more things to go wrong with it ;/ , if you get a pc with 2 cards id advise selling one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

something to consider with the xps is the support.
    the support line is based in dublin with hardly any time waiting to get through.
    none of this calling india lark.
    the support is next business day replacement on any failed part.
    so if a hard drive goes youll have a new one the next day with an engineer to fit it.

as you say yourself, your not technical and with any self build if something goes wrong your looking at calling the indiviudal part manufacture and applying for a return authorisation.
    you then send the part back, they test it and repiar or replace it.
    you then received the part back and have to fit it yourself.
    that can take weeks.

i have experience with both, i have an xps laptop and many self build desktops.
    the desktops were better in terms of upgradeabilty and everything else mentioned in this thread, but the support experience on the laptop has been incredible.

i spilled a cup of coffee into my laptop and the next day and engineer was out repalcing the damaged parts.

maybe its something for you to consider

• Advertisement

subway wrote:
    something to consider with the xps is the support.
    the support line is based in dublin with hardly any time waiting to get through.
    none of this calling india lark.
    the support is next business day replacement on any failed part.
    so if a hard drive goes youll have a new one the next day with an engineer to fit it.

as you say yourself, your not technical and with any self build if something goes wrong your looking at calling the indiviudal part manufacture and applying for a return authorisation.
    you then send the part back, they test it and repiar or replace it.
    you then received the part back and have to fit it yourself.
    that can take weeks.

i have experience with both, i have an xps laptop and many self build desktops.
    the desktops were better in terms of upgradeabilty and everything else mentioned in this thread, but the support experience on the laptop has been incredible.

i spilled a cup of coffee into my laptop and the next day and engineer was out repalcing the damaged parts.

maybe its something for you to consider

true .but still......its a dell.............

Advertisement