Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Of All Pc's...!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

subway wrote:
    something to consider with the xps is the support.
    the support line is based in dublin with hardly any time waiting to get through.
    none of this calling india lark.
    the support is next business day replacement on any failed part.
    so if a hard drive goes youll have a new one the next day with an engineer to fit it.

as you say yourself, your not technical and with any self build if something goes wrong your looking at calling the indiviudal part manufacture and applying for a return authorisation.
    you then send the part back, they test it and repiar or replace it.
    you then received the part back and have to fit it yourself.
    that can take weeks.

i have experience with both, i have an xps laptop and many self build desktops.
    the desktops were better in terms of upgradeabilty and everything else mentioned in this thread, but the support experience on the laptop has been incredible.

i spilled a cup of coffee into my laptop and the next day and engineer was out repalcing the damaged parts.

maybe its something for you to consider

I take your point... but I feel it's not a HUGE risk to buy one of these rigs, granted I don't know the individuals but it takes a certain expertise to construct machines like this, and I feel for the added specs, it's worth the risk...

I'm wondering, would these be high MAINTENANCE PC's... in comparison to the Dell? - what I mean is would high end rigs like this need EXTRA care as apposed to regular desktops (with their cooling systems etc)

papu wrote:
    well go for a 32 bit os itl save you around 80 euros, vista recognizes 4gigs of ram anyways ,

sli isnt great tbh its maybe 50% increase in preformance for 100% price increase , it means a better psu more energy spent and more things to go wrong with it ;/ , if you get a pc with 2 cards id advise selling one...

I assume Robertr's gfx card http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327539 would still be very impressive in terms of poke?

Apologies - Robertr for disceting your PC here....!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hehe

these 2 pc's are way above dell's and they would not be any higer matinence then a high spec dell.I reccomend you go for a custom build instead of a dell.which glines and rborotes are.

awhir wrote:
    hehe

these 2 pc's are way above dell's and they would not be any higer matinence then a high spec dell.I reccomend you go for a custom build instead of a dell.which glines and rborotes are.

Which would be your preference?

For me Glines.as his has sli and faster hard drives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Gline does have the better pc it would seem, but factor in how loud 2 scsi drives are? If you thought raptors were loud then you will be in for a supprise. Robertr's would be the more overclockable as it is watercooled. But depending on the pump it can be quite loud.

For a monitor you should be looking for a 22" or bigger widescreen as you will really want tp push the hardware to get the best from it.

If you have a fia rbit of money to throw at this pc i would reccomend you contact the following 2 companys.

www.vadim.co.uk & www.voodoopc.com Bot make bespoke pc's to nay spec you require.

voodoopc will make you something like this

amdvoodoogoldside.jpg

And vadim will make something like this

verdict.jpg

Goddamn! some machines alright Anti!!

Although I wouldn't know where to begin spec wise - As I've said, I'm a little out of touch with high-end hardware... Both of these companies would probably charge through the nose for shipping though!

It's weird, whereas this endeavour was originally a no-brainer ...just buy a Dell XPS, I've now a plethora of options but I'm still fairly confused as to which one would best suit me...

As it stands now, I'm drawn to the two rigs of Robertr & Glines...

I'd hate to regret or miss out on the ideal spec...

I've PM'd Glines for links to his hardware, as Robertr has... to get a better comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well unless you really plan to play the latest games at the higest settings, while encoding a dvd and doing a few other background tasks, both machines will be a complete waste for you. If its just casual gaming, and a small bit of encoding i would self build with a high end dual core, like the E6850. A 8800gtx of any make will be fine, 2-4gb of ram. A decent motherboard, a x-fi sound card, 22/24" dell fp monitor. And a nice case with good cooling to keep everything cool.

2-2.5k is all you have to spend to meet your needs. And you could probably do it alot cheaper too if you wanted, and have the time to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

8T8 wrote:
    For this sort of thing you'd be better off doing a self build then let Dell doing it for you.

The 8800GTX and Vista 64-bit if thats what you using for the OS don't play nice with each other, NVIDIA's 32-bit driver is fine but their 64-bit lags behind. If you want to keep the 8800GTX I would consider dropping to 2GB or 3GB of RAM & stick with 32-bit OS.

If you plan on going 64-bit go with an ATI 2900XT.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit and have absolutely no problems with the 64bit driver for the 8800GTX..if anything it seems to be running even smoother..I'm using the current beta 163.11 with no issues.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit and have absolutely no problems with the 64bit driver for the 8800GTX..if anything it seems to be running even smoother..I'm using the current beta 163.11 with no issues.

lol at ur sig " Thermalright Temjin TJ-09" i think its suppose to be silverstone Temjin TJ-09

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    Well unless you really plan to play the latest games at the higest settings, while encoding a dvd and doing a few other background tasks, both machines will be a complete waste for you. If its just casual gaming, and a small bit of encoding i would self build with a high end dual core, like the E6850. A 8800gtx of any make will be fine, 2-4gb of ram. A decent motherboard, a x-fi sound card, 22/24" dell fp monitor. And a nice case with good cooling to keep everything cool.

2-2.5k is all you have to spend to meet your needs. And you could probably do it alot cheaper too if you wanted, and have the time to shop around.

I couldn't see myself needing a powerhouse to do what you describe, but I assume both machines would still be extremely impressive speed wise... and would surpass the Dell...?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

awhir wrote:
    lol at ur sig " Thermalright Temjin TJ-09" i think its suppose to be silverstone Temjin TJ-09

I know...I'm too lazy to change it although I might be up to copying and pasting from your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Can't beat the 30" monitor!!!!

I just wanted to post my decision - I'm happy with glines spec and a deals on the table... we're just ironing out the finer points!

Thanks to everyone who helped along the way...

Robertr - you came close mate!!! best 'a luck with selling the rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

No worries, to be honest I don't really want to sell it, my heart was hoping that you wouldn't buy it but my head was hoping you would.

Enjoy the new machine!

Robertr wrote:
    No worries, to be honest I don't really want to sell it, my heart was hoping that you wouldn't buy it but my head was hoping you would.

Enjoy the new machine!

Thanks Robertr... I would have give my right arm for that 30" monitor!

Advertisement