Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy surfboards in Limerick

Options
  • 05-08-2007 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hi, was just wondering can anyone tell me where to go in Limerick to buy a surfboard? thought it was the right time as i think iv been to the lahinch surf school enough! i went into tubes and riverdeep but hadn't a great selection..any other places i could go to? second hand or new, i dont care!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought there used to be a surf shop along the beach front down in Lahinch? It's many years since I was down there but I definately remember one there at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

bazz26 wrote:
    I thought there used to be a surf shop along the beach front down in Lahinch? It's many years since I was down there but I definately remember one there at the time.
    oh i should have been more clear,im just looking around limerick city, was wondering if there was any shops in the city area? bar tubes and riverdeep like! i know im a lazy bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

you're not gonna find much unless you go further afield, it'd only be river deep or tubes in the city, but if you go to lahinch you'll find ocean scene, or lahinch surf shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya id be interested myself actually, post your results will you please,
    like you ive gone to surf school (lanzarote) too many times at this stage and need to start doing my own thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

OP if you're just starting out (which you seem to be) then buying a new board is totally unnecessary. You don't even really know what you want until you get some experience so i would suggest going onto buy and sell and trying to pick up a bic 7"9' board which is generally accepted to be a great learner board and is very forgiving. I would aim to spend about eu200 in it. A new board is not a good purchase for you now (the guys on commission in the shop will tell you it's a good idea but come on)
    Happy searching and once the bic has no cracks in it it's good to buy. They are tough as nails, i had one many years ago and some lady drove over it in the car park and it was fine afterwards! Now that's a learner board

• Advertisement

OP if you're just starting out (which you seem to be) then buying a new board is totally unnecessary. You don't even really know what you want until you get some experience so i would suggest going onto buy and sell and trying to pick up a bic 7"9' board which is generally accepted to be a great learner board and is very forgiving. I would aim to spend about eu200 in it. A new board is not a good purchase for you now (the guys on commission in the shop will tell you it's a good idea but come on)
    Happy searching and once the bic has no cracks in it it's good to buy. They are tough as nails, i had one many years ago and some lady drove over it in the car park and it was fine afterwards! Now that's a learner board
    nah, i wouldnt say im only starting out, iv gone surfing in lahinch tons of times and also in achill island, i like to think that iv grasped it, my dad used to surf for ireland back in the day, he still has his board like so its not something that id be keeping for a couple years, i plan on using this for my lifetime! i was also thinking of a 7 foot 2 inch, not too big and bulky but it would be perfect for me when i progress or master it as the waves in ireland would restrict me buying any smaller really, but ya you get the idea anyway about what i want anyway, maybe if ppl knew of a second hand surf store?

It's your first board right dave?
    I still think you should buy a used BIC and surf it for a few months then sell it on, you will get your money back easily if youre careful. A big problem with people getting first boards is that they get something that's intended for someone with more experience and they don't learn as quickly or enjoy it as much.
    Your Dad would have had a differently constructed board but modern boards will not last a life time, you got issues like delamination etc.
    Couple of questions:
    What have you been surfing so far?
    Height and weight?
    When you say 7"2 do you mean a thruster shape (shortboard) or a mini mal (longboard)?
    Your original question was where you should go in Limerick to buy a board, I don't think buying a board in Limerick is a good idea, better deals in the costal towns, Lahinch, Sligo, Bundoran for example.
    You should ask you Dad to go with you when you're picking one out.
    Hope my comments helped

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Isn't there a surf shop on henry street? At the corner near the post office?

It's your first board right dave?
    I still think you should buy a used BIC and surf it for a few months then sell it on, you will get your money back easily if youre careful. A big problem with people getting first boards is that they get something that's intended for someone with more experience and they don't learn as quickly or enjoy it as much.
    Your Dad would have had a differently constructed board but modern boards will not last a life time, you got issues like delamination etc.
    Couple of questions:
    What have you been surfing so far?
    Height and weight?
    When you say 7"2 do you mean a thruster shape (shortboard) or a mini mal (longboard)?
    Your original question was where you should go in Limerick to buy a board, I don't think buying a board in Limerick is a good idea, better deals in the costal towns, Lahinch, Sligo, Bundoran for example.
    You should ask you Dad to go with you when you're picking one out.
    Hope my comments helped
    ya i asked for my dads help picking one out so he'l be there, the ones iv surfed on before were the tough sorta styrafome boards (typical starter) id say bout 7'6 or there abouts, no im not looking for a small board like, id say between 7'2 and 7'6 or so...ya i might head to lahinch and see wat they have in stock there..

hey dave that's a good idea. You won't go far wrong since you're bringing your Dad along. Make sure and sneak a pint in O'Looney's by the water while you're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Is O Looneys open again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 goth_detective

you should check out tubes on henry street.

can be a bit pricey but their really helpful and will help ya determine what type of board, fins etc you need.

"Is O Looneys open again?"

I didn't know it had closed?? Have been out of the country about a year.
    Great spot, hopefully it's for renovations for something and it opens again

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

Spent last week in Clonakilty. Lots of surf shops there. Vapouride is one. Apparently surfing is big in Inchadonney

Advertisement