Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor Roaming in the US

• 05-08-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi sorry if this has been posted before but i'm heading to NY in a week and was wondering about roaming. I know with Meteor you are supposed to ring them and they activate roaming but you have to pay €60 which I have done a load of times for roaming before. Does anyone know if you don't do this will you still be able to pick up network when you get there?
    Also which is the best network to use?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If I recall correctly it's Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile - in NY coverage is pretty much the same with either.

You shouldn't have to pay another deposit, but you should ring them just t0 check it's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

If its a PAYG account then you normally need to top up by 60.00 and register a credit card before travelling but theirs certain countries that are exempt from this.

Its called CAMEL roaming which means you dont have to do anything. Just take your phone with you and it will pick up coverage as soon as you get there. Meteor have CAMEL roaming agreements with the major countries in Europe and in America so you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Decided to mail Meteor just to check and got quite a informative reply!

In the USA Meteor has a roaming agreement with two networks: Cingular and T-mobile. As there is no restriction on your account you can select either of the two. T-mobile is the cheaper of the two; calls to Ireland will cost €1.16 per minute. With Cingular calls will cost €1.99 per minute. Texts will cost 39c to send and are free to receive. Please remember that you pay for in-coming calls if answered. If the call is diverted to your voicemail you will also be charged so you may want to cancel all diverts by keying in ##002#.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

haha aint they cheap roaming in us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

It is still not clear whether either T-Mobile US or Cingular/ATT is a CAMEL network. I guess the American networks aren't CAMEL enabled. As said before CAMEL is the technology that allows the foreign network to check with your home network if you still have credit, and deduct credit in real time. Therefore, when roaming on a CAMEL network you don't need to top up with 60 euro and register your credit card.

I am off to the US as well. Paying 59ct per minute with O2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement