Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart telecom advert on Boards!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Hmmmm first customer on Smart network - March 2005 now August 2007 - yes thats almost 3 years - say hi to O'Riordan (Smart CEO) when you see him in the corridor

Come again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

I was wrong about Parkwest apparently they got a reprive at the 11th hour - but they're on their final warning...

And for all the Smart fans out there I know their broadband is great -if you can get it.

I predict they'll start hitting the press very soon and relaunch to the market as a new and improved company and then of course we'll get the whole eircom trick of - "lipstick on the pig" relaunch to the stock market and Mr O'Riordan and Mr Murtagh and sons will walk off into the sunset with a pile of cash leaving a company behind that is not viable somethings in telecoms don't change - but mark this age and come back in 6-12 months time......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So hang on - you mention that Smart were kicked out of Parkwest and then admit that wasn't true, then you cynically indicate that O'Riordan and Murtagh are in it solely for "a pile of cash" ?

Are you working for eircom or something ? Or with the "if you can get it" comment, were you unable to get it and have a chip on your shoulder ?

Yes, every company is in it to make cash, but if Smart were not in it for the long haul they would have thrown their hat at it when eircom played dirty last year and ComReg not only refused to acknowledge the obstacles that eircom had placed in their way, but also pulled the 3G licence from Smart because of their perceived viability problem....a licence which then coincidentally went to Meteor, an eircom company....hmmm...impeccable timing there, eircom!

If your "mark this [p]age [sic] and come back in 6-12 months time" comment is some snide attempt to imply that Smart won't be here then, I have 2 points to make:

1) If what you're suggesting does come true, we won't be able to come back in 12 months - not without paying at least twice as much for a much more sub-standard broadband....whoopee doo.....

2) People said similar things last Oct/Nov, and since then we've saved a small fortune thanks to Smart by staying put......even if they did only last another 6 months (which I certainly hope will not be the case) we will have saved a fortune, so we'll then (if we have to) make the call then as to who offers the next-best package.

But in the meantime, for price, speed, lack of contention and lack of limits (all 4 primary criteria) plus damn good service, Smart's broadband package blows everything out of the water, and no amount of propaganda or competitive dirt-throwing would make me switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Liam Byrne wrote:
    So hang on - you mention that Smart were kicked out of Parkwest and then admit that wasn't true, then you cynically indicate that O'Riordan and Murtagh are in it solely for "a pile of cash" ?

Are you working for eircom or something ? Or with the "if you can get it" comment, were you unable to get it and have a chip on your shoulder ?

Yes, every company is in it to make cash, but if Smart were not in it for the long haul they would have thrown their hat at it when eircom played dirty last year and ComReg not only refused to acknowledge the obstacles that eircom had placed in their way, but also pulled the 3G licence from Smart because of their perceived viability problem....a licence which then coincidentally went to Meteor, an eircom company....hmmm...impeccable timing there, eircom!

If your "mark this [p]age [sic] and come back in 6-12 months time" comment is some snide attempt to imply that Smart won't be here then, I have 2 points to make:

1) If what you're suggesting does come true, we won't be able to come back in 12 months - not without paying at least twice as much for a much more sub-standard broadband....whoopee doo.....

2) People said similar things last Oct/Nov, and since then we've saved a small fortune thanks to Smart by staying put......even if they did only last another 6 months (which I certainly hope will not be the case) we will have saved a fortune, so we'll then (if we have to) make the call then as to who offers the next-best package.

But in the meantime, for price, speed, lack of contention and lack of limits (all 4 primary criteria) plus damn good service, Smart's broadband package blows everything out of the water, and no amount of propaganda or competitive dirt-throwing would make me switch.

Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jimbozo

Another satisfied Smart customer here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I was wrong about Parkwest apparently they got a reprive at the 11th hour - but they're on their final warning...

And for all the Smart fans out there I know their broadband is great -if you can get it.

I predict they'll start hitting the press very soon and relaunch to the market as a new and improved company and then of course we'll get the whole eircom trick of - "lipstick on the pig" relaunch to the stock market and Mr O'Riordan and Mr Murtagh and sons will walk off into the sunset with a pile of cash leaving a company behind that is not viable somethings in telecoms don't change - but mark this age and come back in 6-12 months time......

If the Company is as blatantly unviable as you appear to believe or want to believe - how would anyone make a pile of cash out of launching it on the stock market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

What of it if Murtagh and Riordan build it to the point that it is viewed as worthy of floatation or even a lucrative trade sale ?
    These scenarios will only happen if the business is profitable - and that can only happen to Smart if it satisfies market needs better than its rivals.
    If it does that then we are all better off: Smart customers as they are "getting it" and other b/b users as the competition of Smart is raising the bar for their providers.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'd have to wonder just what Smart are doing so right that they seem to worry some people so much that they resort to outright lies and sad 'predictions' to try put the mockers on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

smart broadband service is great indeed, but the television is woeful, and it's disheartening that they can get away with it.

i live in earlswood, the entire development is *only* serviced by smartvision, and everyone has trouble with it. channels can take minutes to load, and it's riddled with constant glitching and stuttering.

thing is, since tv was deregulated in 2003, they don't have *anyone* so answer to other than the consumer. seeing as the consumer has no other choice of tv provider they;re screwed.

i was a big fan of smart, had their broadband since the beginning, and thought they were an admirable crowd, but this service is appalling and their lack of commitment to resolve it is disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Regarding Smartvision, it is complete madness that any company should be allowed a monopoly of supply in any area or development. I think some misguided management companies have signed long term exclusive supply deals that restrict residents from having choice. Even if the quality of service was decent, I still think people should be entitled to choice. Comreg, where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

that's the funny thing
    i rang comreg about this and the lady i spoke to lives in such a development and was equally upset.
    basically under EU law, television providers don't have to answer to anyone, and Comreg are powerless over them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

the corpo wrote:
    that's the funny thing
    i rang comreg about this and the lady i spoke to lives in such a development and was equally upset.
    basically under EU law, television providers don't have to answer to anyone, and Comreg are powerless over them

Of course under EU law, you are also perfectly entitled to put up a small and discreet satellite dish, no matter what the management company claims.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the corpo wrote:
    smart broadband service is great indeed, but the television is woeful, and it's disheartening that they can get away with it.

i live in earlswood, the entire development is *only* serviced by smartvision, and everyone has trouble with it. channels can take minutes to load, and it's riddled with constant glitching and stuttering.

thing is, since tv was deregulated in 2003, they don't have *anyone* so answer to other than the consumer. seeing as the consumer has no other choice of tv provider they;re screwed.

i was a big fan of smart, had their broadband since the beginning, and thought they were an admirable crowd, but this service is appalling and their lack of commitment to resolve it is disgraceful

Has nobody yet tried the Joe Duffy route on this topic? Surely bad publicity is the only way to get Smart to act but also to raise the matter as a general issue as it must be affecting more and more people?

Advertisement